Kidney disease advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
alexchurchyard
Returning Cat Chatter

Kidney disease advice

Post by alexchurchyard »

Hi there. My name is Alex - yesterday we took our took cats Salem and Jinx to the vet to have some routine inoculations and while there the vet said that Jinx had lost weight since last year. She's always been a thin cat and has always been obsessed with water so we didn't realise anything was different.

She's only 2.5 years old and they ran blood and urine tests and basically it has come back that she has fairly advanced kidney disease. Due to her age and the fact that they're indoor cats this isn't something I ever considered. Apparently it could be genetic though...

Anyway we went into the vet this morning (they phone with the results late last night) and they've given us a few options and I wondered if people on here have been through this and good advise on what they think is the best course of action.

They've said we can bring her in for 48 hours and they'll try giving her fluids/electrolytes etc followed by more blood work and that this could mean she gets some more time, but they've said best case that would be months. They've said we can put her on a renal diet and keep her at home and again she would need more blood work to see if thats working (I believe they said in a week or so) or the other option is putting her to rest.

Really want to do the best thing for Jinx and not for us as owners - I don't want to prolong her life for our sakes and I don't want to stress her out with trips to and from the vet - but if she can have some quality of life from that then maybe that is the best course of action.

This is really a massive shock to us as we really didn't realise there was anything seriously wrong - we've not had common symptoms like vomiting - she's very subdued today (which I wonder if its down to the stress of the tests yesterday) as she had been active before we took her in...

If anyone on here has been through this and can give me advice, I'd appreciate it...
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kidney disease advice

Post by Lilith »

Hi Alex, and so very sorry to hear.

This is usually seen in elderly cats - but long ago I had a two year old cat with kidney disease (in those days they called it nephritis) and I'm sorry to say it is fatal as the kidneys can't be regenerated.

I didn't see kidney disease again in any of my cats for a long time until a fourteen year old girl who seemed in good health (like your Jinx) went off her food one day and I had her to the vet just in case ... her kidneys had collapsed. The vet offered to take her in a for dialysis (fluids) but I knew she'd hate that, going into a hospital situation, alone, and the vet actually said - 'dialysis is for the owner, not the cat.' It was a terrible shock, but I let her go.

As you say, dialysis can only buy the cat a bit more time; it can't turn the clock back. If a cat's very outgoing it might be an option - I had a ginger tom who thought he was a golden labrador and loved everybody; going in for a dental was a big social occasion for him; the surgery couldn't believe him; he'd have loved the fuss if he'd needed dialysis. But most cats don't. Diet's another thing; a special diet can maintain the kidneys for a while longer - but only if the cat will eat it.

A month ago I lost my Emily (avatar cat) to kidney disease at 17. Knowing what I did, and knowing her, I decided against anything invasive and knowing what her reaction would be to diet, I let her take her own way. My bossy madam had another six months after diagnosis but she had quality of life, I like to think. One day she was off her food, sleepy, and I knew that was it.

This is just my subjective view and not writ in stone, by the way, and hopefully there will be other people along with more advice. Again I'm so sorry to hear about Jinx, and fusses to her, and Salem too. All the very best, Lil.
Last edited by Lilith on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

There are two types of CKD, acute and chronic, chronic is generally seen in older cats, in younger cats it can be acute, and depending on the cause, reversible. Has she been able to get into anything that could have caused a reaction? What kind of houseplants do you have? I personally would have the fluids done because of her age and take it from there. What kind of cat is she? Certain breeds are more prone to kidney issues.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I didn't know that, Booktigger - but Timus died in 1982, and there wasn't much they could do for him apart from urine tests and antibiotics. There was a vague mention of special diet. Vets didn't do blood tests in those days, any such samples had to be sent away, occasionally, to Glasgow, and as for dialysis ...

Hoping that Jinx does have a chance then. Paws and tails crossed here!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Hi Alex. I can give you some more cheering news. My neighbors cat Tay (5 years old) suffered chronic kidney failure (not definitely known why) in May this year. He was given all the treatments and has recovered to the extent that he is no longer on kidney food (he has other problems but is responding to treatment for those as well). He was not keen on kidney food, but ate it because he wasn't able to get anything else!
alexchurchyard
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by alexchurchyard »

Thank you Lilith. Sorry to hear about what you went through with your cats. Means a lot you replying and let me know what you've been through in the past. It sounds like you did the right thing by them though.

Booktigger - I just got off the phone to clarify a few things with the vet - Its chronic and stage 4 - she said its rare but it actually happened to her 2 year old family cat. She also said she has 15 percent kidney function... Vet seems to think it would have been something she always had which is why we hadn't noticed any real signs of symptoms. The vet has said that there is no chance of changing the prognosis, only delaying it...

Weighing up advice from the vet, I think we're going to keep her at home and put her on a renal diet - they're also going to give us a powder to mix in with her food. I think if she wont eat it then we will consider taking her in for the fluids, but she seems so stressed from yesterdays visit. We've also sent off her urine for further tests at the lab (its a blur as to why, but they already had the urine from the initial tests, so I just told them to go for it).

I think this is the best thing I can do for her at the moment. Luckily I can work from home so I can monitor her quite readily.

Thank you both for this and any future advice.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Sorry the vet thinks it's chronic and advanced, are the cats siblings?
alexchurchyard
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by alexchurchyard »

Yeah they are. Her sister (Salem) is slightly over weight (was always bigger) - I am going to ask if we should have her blood tested though - she was seen at the same time so shes been looked at, but we were only there for the jabs and they saw Salem first.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I would just for peace of mind
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Poor girl. This is such atrocious luck for you both.

Is Jinx part-Siamese? She's very pretty. That young cat of mine, Timus, was clearly Siamesey, and the 14-year old, Jacinth, was a blue-point Siamese, but I've never heard that Siamese are prone to kidney disease. Emily the 17 year old was 'just' a moggie, but oddly enough when she arrived I felt as if Jacinth had come back and I often call her 'Jacinth' - ironic that she should die from the same cause and in the same way - I had no idea what was wrong with Jacinth but the vet said that I'd caught her in time, before she went into uraemia, which is massive discomfort for them; so when I saw Emily in the same state I knew to act fast, and it was the same; she was very dehydrated and showing signs of uraemia.

I hope Salem is ok and that Jinx gets through this as comfortably as possible - and you too. Hearing this sort of news is awful, but then you get used to it (after a fashion!) and you make the most of those months remaining. Sorry - that's cold comfort I know.

Again so very sorry, and all the best, Lil.
alexchurchyard
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by alexchurchyard »

Thanks both of you.

Well, we always thought of her as a moggie, but when we adopted them (they were RSPCA kittens) they were still with their Mum and she was very interesting looking? And they did say she was a specific breed, but I don't recall exactly what.

We actually initially saw Jinx on the facebook page of a cattery that the RSPCA rents rooms out of and I was meant to just go and talk about adopting her - as well loved the look of her. When I was there I met Salem as well (they were only a litter of two) and I felt bad for separating them - they said because Salem is a black cat she would be a lot less desirable than the mum (which is when they brought up her breed) and by the time we picked Salem and Jinx up after the home check, their Mum had been adopted. So yeah I ended up with both of them - best decision I could have made, because despite what is happening now we've loved having them both so very much.

I'm picking up food at the vets today and I'll talk to them about Salem.

Still struggling with how jinx's energy levels have gone down since the vets. And the guilt of not seeing the signs.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

alexchurchyard wrote:Thanks both of you.

Well, we always thought of her as a moggie, but when we adopted them (they were RSPCA kittens) they were still with their Mum and she was very interesting looking? And they did say she was a specific breed, but I don't recall exactly what.

We actually initially saw Jinx on the facebook page of a cattery that the RSPCA rents rooms out of and I was meant to just go and talk about adopting her - as well loved the look of her. When I was there I met Salem as well (they were only a litter of two) and I felt bad for separating them - they said because Salem is a black cat she would be a lot less desirable than the mum (which is when they brought up her breed) and by the time we picked Salem and Jinx up after the home check, their Mum had been adopted. So yeah I ended up with both of them - best decision I could have made, because despite what is happening now we've loved having them both so very much.

I'm picking up food at the vets today and I'll talk to them about Salem.

Still struggling with how jinx's energy levels have gone down since the vets. And the guilt of not seeing the signs.
Please don't feel guilty, cats naturally hide weakness to protect them, so unless you do regular tests (which I wouldn't recommend at their age), you wouldn't pick things up until they are more advanced - my last two cats with kidney issues were only picked up because I do annual blood tests, there had been occasional drinking more and vomiting, but nothing to suggest dragging them to the vets.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Seconded. My Jassy was to all appearances a normal healthy cat and showed no symptoms. Please don't beat yourself up. And there's no miracle cure for kidney disease, alas. Even with careful diet, meds etc, the clock can't be turned back - and it's not something you can prevent in the first place :(

Jinx looks very Siamesey - or Oriental (which is basically a self-coloured Siamese, also known as 'Foreign'.) She's very similar to a kitten I once adopted, along with her black brother, who was born of a lilac point mother who'd mated with a Siamese cross. Were they a handful! I've just realised as well, there's Salem in the background in your avatar - bonny pair they are :)
alexchurchyard
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by alexchurchyard »

Hey, thank you both, I know we shouldn't feel guilty, just hard not to. But as you say it does seem quite common that people don't see the signs.

Yeah Salem was our happy accident in a way - didn't intend on getting her, but so so glad we did. Shes very very soppy. One of those cats that proves to me that cats do have affection for humans. Jinx has always been less affectionate, but at the same time she has always moved to the same rooms as us and usually sits behind my head of the sofa - so shes shown love in her own way as well.

Taking Salem in in three weeks so going to have her blood tested for peace of mind - i don't want to take her in too soon with everything going on and she has a never-ending appetite and is a little over weight as I mentioned. But I think especially as the vet said to put her on a diet, would be best to know that she is okay as wouldn't want to mistake the diet for her losing weight, when its something else. I think she is fine though.

Jinx has taken to the renal food - very interested in it and has eaten a fair bit - shes used to dry food so its the first time shes ever had wet food. She has perked up a little bit as well - jumping into the bathroom sink for us to turn the tap on etc - but she is mostly resting to be honest. I think working from home the last few days has highlighted to me just how much time she sleeps.

Anyway taking each day as it comes.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

alexchurchyard wrote: Anyway taking each day as it comes.
That is all you can do unfortunately.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Sorry I forgot one point, about Jinx being so subdued after her vet visit. Emily was just the same, she was a shocked little bag of bones, as if she'd physically dropped weight overnight, snuggling up to me, but then she regained her confidence and became her old self. It does take it out of them, visiting the vet, especially when they're poorly. I vowed that I wouldn't take Em back unless it was essential, and indeed I asked the vet to visit when it came to her last day, although, poor girl, she hated strangers (vet and nurse) appearing in the house. But right up till the end she was bossy and lively with very few offdays.

Tim was always a quiet thin boy, so gentle. I don't remember how it was discovered that he had kidney disease. The vet wanted to see him now and again, with his urine sample - that urine sample! I found that if he'd been asleep for a while, he was near-incontinent, so I'd let him sleep, have a small shallow container ready, gently wake him, sit him on his tray and stick the container beneath him and ... Niagara. Used to get some very amazed looks at the vet's as Timus and I arrived, bearing the sample in triumph! No plastic granules for tray collection or blood tests in those days. Last February when I noticed Emmy was drinking a lot and losing weight I had her to the vet's for a blood test and dental inspection (her breath was bad) and found out that way.

They're all different - and unlike people they do carry on regardless.

Lol - when I went to collect my kittens I intended to take the black one but while I was there a small tortie paw tapped my wrist and ...

I do hope Jinx recovers soon from her ordeal - it is confusing for them. All the best.
garygrover
New Cat Chatter

Post by garygrover »

kidney disease in cats is notoriously hard to catch earlier stages.

There are two types of kidney disease in cats: 1) chronic kidney disease in cats 2)Acute kidney injury in cats.

Cat parents should aware from most common preventable causes such as limit your cat's exposures to toxic substances. Also ensure that their felines, senior felines, in particular, are evaluated twice yearly by a veterinarian.