Cat dragging bottom and frequent licking

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat dragging bottom and frequent licking

Post by ymv13 »

Hello

My 9 year old male cat often drags his bottom along the carpet and is often licking his nether regions. He doesn’t do it after going to the toilet so his bottom is clean. I told the vet a few weeks ago who checked his anal glands which were ok. Told me to apply Sudocream if his bottom looks sore.

I have no hope of being able to apply anything to his bottom and frankly I don’t want him licking Sudocream.

He has recently been wormed and doesn’t have fleas.

Any clues as to what might be causing it? Am reluctant to go back to vet if he is going to give me the same advice as before .

Thank you

Yvonne
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat dragging bottom and frequent licking

Post by Lilith »

Hi Yvonne and welcome :)

He doesn't sound like a happy camper.

What are his motions like? I have one who does this if she's constipated.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ymv13 »

I haven’t been able to check as he goes to the toilet outside. He does have a litter tray but he only uses it when he needs a wee and is inside.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Usually dragging is anal glands I’ve found, but if that’s ok...the other thing, my neighbours cat wasn’t dragging, but was licking his bum a lot. Although her cat goes out to poo, she has noticed when he has used the tray indoors, and the cattery noticed too. always loose poos and a some blood sometimes. Anyhow he was recently licking his bum a lot as well so she got a wormer from the vets and mentioned this. The vet gave him an ab injection and said to try grain free food. She did this and touch wood his poo’s been fine since, his bum looks better, and he’s stopped licking it. May be worth checking his poo to see how that is.