Total ear canal removal due to polpys any advice?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fmvminside
New Cat Chatter

Total ear canal removal due to polpys any advice?

Post by fmvminside »

My five year old cat was sedated yesterday to look at some polpys in the ear and deep into canal.
He will need a complete removal of ear canal.
Yesterday I tried to keep him in after sedation. It was a nightmare. Him and his brother are very much outdoor loving cats. I have 10 rescue cats in total.
I shut him in a room overnight I had to let him out at 5am due to him been so stressed with the confinement. He was howling, trying to pull door and window open!!! Had about an hours sleep.
It worries me after the operation he will need to be kept in for around 6 weeks and head collar for 2 weeks probably! Will be done in around a months time.
Already stressed out thinking about it.
Also the effect of op?
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Total ear canal removal due to polpys any advice?

Post by Antonio »

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to read this sad story, and never heard of such a surgery before.

Will he be able to hear after the surgery? What kind of impairment will he have?
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: Total ear canal removal due to polpys any advice?

Post by Sniper1 »

I have had this op on a cat and she was fine the two week collar didn't go down too well but distracted her from being kept in for the two weeks when the collar came off she went out as normal and was fine without ever having any further issues her whole life hope all goes OK with you and try not to stress too much get him used to being in as much as possible as soon as you can and stock up on treats