Hairball biscuits

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Hairball biscuits

Post by booktigger »

Anybody any suggestions on whether it is a good idea to get these for Chanel (ragdoll type fur), or if it is a bit of a con?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Hairball biscuits

Post by Ruth B »

We tried the Purina One Hairball control for Blue every so often but I'm not sure they made any difference and were far more expensive than the standard Adult variety.

Allegedly they have something in them that helps break down the hair in the stomach but even though he was the type of cat that threw up once or twice a week there was rarely any sign of fur in what he brought up, Tiggy shows more evidence of furballs. Blue did enjoy being brushed and we would do it for 5 - 10 minutes in a morning and evening when we were just generally fussing him, it just became a habit, if you went to stroke him you pick up a brush, we ended up with several lying about the house so there was always one to hand. I think this probably helped more than any type of cat food.

The evidence of him shedding was always around the house, no matter how hard we tried to keep it under control there would be these little tumbleweeds of cat fur blowing across the floor and as he was allow out there were patches of fur out there, we even saw birds gathering it for nest lining, nice soft and warm, even if it did smell of cat.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I would have thought a hairball paste might be more reliable, and acceptable - my Tiffany adores just about every type of paste
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I give Tilly Whiskas anti-hairball treats in the shedding season. They do seem to help in controlling her furballs. I have tried the pastes, but she won't touch them.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Our long haired moggy Elsie suffers dreadfully with hairballs, but we find feeding her Royal Canin hairball control 50/50 with her regular dried food helps a lot.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I've used furball treats - just the bog standard Whiskas ones - with good results; I think they have a mild laxative effect and can keep a constipated cat regular, too.

Lol Ruth I once took a winter's fur brushings up to the allotment I had at the time and stuffed them in a feeder for the birds to take, and they did ... a family of tits grew up in a luxury deep mattress, or should that be cattress? :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately I can’t touch Chanel, much less brush her!! Not sure if a paste would work as I can’t touch them. Lucy is prone to hairballs, if you try and brush her, she bites, if you are lucky she gets the brush rather than you! I am going to try a mitt on her, as she does like being stroked.