Necessary operations

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Adamsn09
New Cat Chatter

Necessary operations

Post by Adamsn09 »

So my kitten 13 weeks has an undershot jaw. She has two tiny puncture marks in her above pallet. She will need her kitten k9s removed. However if they are removed she will need her adult ones removed also.
I don’t want to stress her with 2 operations aswell as being spayed.
Should I wait for her kitten teeth to fall out before subjecting her to pain. I’m aware she will be in pain:discomfort just now, although she doesn’t show it and wolfs her food down. I just don’t want her to suffer or me be the cause of unnecessary pain for her
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Necessary operations

Post by fjm »

I would talk to your vet. On the whole, I think the few days with a sore mouth from having the teeth removed is preferable to the constant pain of having them penetrating the roof of the mouth for months, with its accompanying risk of infection, but I think your vet is the best person to advise.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Necessary operations

Post by Lilith »

Poor little lass!

Yes, I agree with Fjm. It did occur to me that the deciduous canines could perhaps come out at the same time as her spaying, which, depending on the age your vet prefers to spay, might be pretty soon, avoiding extra anaesthetic, but vets don't like to do 'clean' ops like spaying at the same time as 'dirty' ops like dental work, because of the bacteria. However, as these are clean kitten teeth and would come out pretty easily too, perhaps it might be feasible. But the vet will know for sure.

Hope the dilemma's over for her soon (at least she'll never have to go through that in future) and glad to hear she's doing so well - good luck :)