Can a sick cat gets a blood tests?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mikihiro
Returning Cat Chatter

Can a sick cat gets a blood tests?

Post by Mikihiro »

Hi, my cat is suffering from FIV and recurrent chronic gingivitis and stomatitis. And just recently I found her lymph nodes are enlarged. My vet gave her anti-inflammatory shots for three days but the swelling hasn’t go down. Left side is as big as a grape and right side is way smaller. Right now she’s on her first antibiotic injection because her previous anti-inflammatory didn’t work. :( I really hope it’s not Lymphoma.. she has trouble swallowing her food but she still has an urge to eat. She hides sometime but sometimes not. She won’t play and not her usual cheerful self. I decided to take a complete tests to check what’s the problem (biopsy definitely not an option now) but my vet asked me whether I really want to do the tests now because she still has enlarged nodes and weak.. I wonder if it’s better to take the test now or no? Since she hasn’t been eating for one day, I feel like this is the perfect time to take a blood test too. What do you guys think? Thank you!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Can a sick cat gets a blood tests?

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome and sorry to hear about her - poor lass, she must be most uncomfortable. I would, I'd have her back, especially as she's not eating, and ask for blood tests to be done.

Do you think she might be tempted by liquid food - there are those sachets of soup for cats, rather gimmicky and expensive but in a case like hers they might come in handy. Or a bit of chicken, stewed, and liquidised with the broth? There's also a high calorie supplement, called 'Nurish'Um' - it comes in a tube and looks like golden syrup - you wipe a little round the cat's lips so that it licks it off. You can get it via Amazon and Petsathome might sell it. The vet might have more ideas too.

Do hope she's feeling better soon and that her appetite improves - all the very best to you both and please let us know how you go on - good luck,
Mikihiro
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Mikihiro »

Hi! Thank you so much!

Yeah she is always in hide right now. Yesterday I managed to feed her okenand a half boiled fish at 4a.m. Seems like she was very hungry that she managed to eat it even with pain. Thanks to you I’ve decided to take a blood tests!

Usually I’m giving her all kind of food to make sure she will eat. If everything is not working, I will syringe feed her but lately maybe the pain is intolerable she started to refuse me syringe feed her. I’m not from the U.S so I think the supplement you’ve mentioned sadly not available in my country :(

The anti-inflammatory injections only helped subsidue her pain for awhile but the swelling still there. Now, we’re going for her second shot of antibiotic injection but even with her first antibiotic injection the swelling is still there. I’m honestly really worry right now.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I'm in the UK, but if you can get stuff delivered by Amazon, you might be able to buy the supplement, regulations permitting of course, or it might be available in your country, or its equivalent - often they rename them from country to country.

I'm glad she ate some fish, and I hope this a/b injection gives her some relief, poor little girl. All the very very best with her.
Mikihiro
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Mikihiro »

Thank you for letting me know! I’m living in Malaysia. Sadly recently she is having a hard time to finish her supplements too when usually she is a very gentle cat :(

It’s really sad to see her like this. She usually eats at least three times a day but now only one time a day. She used to eat around 4 and a half of boiled fish or always finish her wet food but this week she eats so little. My vet told me theres nothing to worry if she doesn’t eat much unless it’s been more than 2 days but still.. she’s like my baby, I can’t stand seeing her hungry but unable to eat. Today even after her second a/b shot, she still seems weak and won’t eat. I’m really worry after tomorrow her last a/b shot she’s still weak and the swelling won’t go down. This time my vet gave her marbofloxacin. Before this my vet even gave her the controversional Convenia. I should’ve had googled it before giving to her. Sigh
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Does she often only eat boiled fish?
Mikihiro
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Mikihiro »

No, she does eat boiled chicken and wet food too :)
But she prefers boiled fish more than anything ^^’’