Murmur

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Arsenal81
New Cat Chatter

Murmur

Post by Arsenal81 »

Has anyone any experience with heart murmurs? Took my 6 year old boy for his jabs and they found a murmur. He’s had bloods and Is going for an ecg. He’s fit and well and has no signs of illness. Can anyone help me?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Murmur

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I'm no expert but slight heart murmurs seem to be common; as a rule they don't inconvenience the cat. My sixteen year old girl has one; it was discovered in 2016 and in 2017 she underwent radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism (no connection) and sailed through it and is going strong. It's a good idea to get your boy checked out but barring disasters this condition shouldn't bother him.

Fusses to him and all the best. and hopefully more knowledgeable people should be along soon, but hope this helps for now :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I've had numerous cats with murmurs, normally discovered in their teens. Didn't cause issues or needed meds, never had tests done for them
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

My 16 year old was diagnosed with a Grade 4 murmur a year ago and is absolutely symptom free without treatment

I was advised she was at risk of blood clots, and a general anaesthetic for anything not life threatening was not recommended, but otherwise I have dismissed it from my mind
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I had a cat with a murmer as a ktten and the vet kept check and it only went up slightly his whole life. I also fostered a kitten with a murmer and the rescue said it wasn’t an issue. I was told I have a bit of a murmer on a check up once and it’s never been followed through. I don’t think they are usually a problem, or need treatment but your vet should be able to explain to you.