young cat back legs unsteady

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
charlie5383
New Cat Chatter

young cat back legs unsteady

Post by charlie5383 »

hi i have a one year old rescue cat and for the last few days thers seems to be something not right with her back legs. She dosent appear to be in pain and still runs about. But if shes walking she will have her back legs close to the ground and stands in the same way. When i go to stroke her lower back she starts to go further to the ground. But she dosent seem to be showing any signs of pain and still seems happy. Has any one heard of anything like this starting to worry now.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: young cat back legs unsteady

Post by Lilith »

Hi Charlie and welcome. As a rescue I'm assuming she's spayed, but if by any chance she's not, female cats in heat can act like this. Does she tread up and down with her back feet and put her tail to one side as well? If she's in heat then she needs to go for spaying as soon as the heat is over - get your vet's advice as to the best time.

Even if she' is spayed, then I'd get her to the vet for a check-up, to make sure nothing's wrong and put your mind at rest. Also - recently another member on here found that although her cat was spayed, she was still having symptoms of heat; it's very rare, but can happen.

All the best with her and please let us know how she goes on :)
charlie5383
New Cat Chatter

Post by charlie5383 »

hi thanks for your reply she has not been spayed so that could be the resone. I never got her done because shes scared of going out side so thourt she wouldnt need doing if she was a house cat. And her tail dosent sit to the side its standig straight up very firmly all the time since this has started. She is still very active and climbing like mad so i dont think shes in pain. But she does seem tender if i stroke her back half. Im a new cat owner so not sure what is normal or not. But thanks so much for your help this site is really good.And i will keep u posted.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

She definitely needs spaying, she is at risk of infection and cancer otherwise. They are normally more vocal when in heat
charlie5383
New Cat Chatter

Post by charlie5383 »

okay good to now and yes she does seem very vocal as of late
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

If she seems at all tender I would take her to the vet just in case there is an injury - and discuss spaying at the same time. Cats can be very determined about finding a mate, and will come into season more and more frequently if not mated or spayed until it can be near constant, which is not much fun for either cat or human!
charlie5383
New Cat Chatter

Post by charlie5383 »

thanks very much and yes i will be takeing her to vet just to make sure just wanted some insight first