Poorly kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Alrhios
New Cat Chatter

Poorly kitten

Post by Alrhios »

I have a litter of 4 10 week old kittens. They went for thier first vacs at 9 weeks old. 6 days later one seemed a little unwell. The next day I called the vet as I found some chewed plastic packaging. I was concerned he'd swallowed some. The vet gave him and anti sickness jab and said if he's not eating to come back. I've taken him back again today and they've kept him in to carry out blood tests and scan his tummy if they don't reveal anything.
I've been managing to get some kmr into him though he's not happy about it.
He has been drinking some water but not interested in any food. Biscuits, fish, chicken, ham, egg, nothing. Not even mums milk.
He managed a poo yesterday which was very sticky and
one during the night which was normal.
His behaviour is odd, he's not particularly responsive to
us and just gazes and isn't interested in playing at all. Can't even tempt him with a feather. I'm really worried about him and wondered if any of you have experienced anything like this before? I'm concerned when theyve been playing if he's taken a tumble... there's been no sickness or diarrhea. I know he's in the best place but I'm still worried and feel so helpless.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Poorly kitten

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Could it be that he's reacted to his vaccinations and is also dehydrated? Has the vet thought of a drip?

Also I'm reminded of a kitten of mine who was ready to leave when he became just like this. I had to delay selling him; took him to the vet, put him on a 'light diet' of fish etc. Then I found a pile of fishy sick wrapped round a mass of long black fur. He was Siamese; the cat with long black fur hadn't had any of the fish (sorry, poor black cat, but I didn't have enough fish for ten cats) but she'd had a right good brushing recently ... and somehow the kitten, little devil, must have managed to play with and ingest her combings, thought it was a mouse ... very ashamed of this but these things happen.

As soon as he'd sicked up he was fine. Different kitten.

So if he's chewed up some plastic (as a lot of cats like doing, silly things) could this be another possibility? Perhaps the scan will show up any obstruction in his gut?

All paws crossed here for him and hope the problem's solved soon - please let us know how he goes on, all the best.
Alrhios
New Cat Chatter

Post by Alrhios »

Thanks for your reply. Just had a call from the very to say blood test showed nothing except a healthy cat.
They scanned his tummy and there's a blockage there. They're unsure what yet, whether it's something he's eaten or like a twist, but they'd like to operate tomorrow and see what's going on. He said he feels his gut feeling is a piece of the plastic bag I found chewed up.
He's hesitant about operating because he's so tiny, but said he would've hi into this lightly and feels after this he will be a healthy cat.
I'm keeping everything crossed all goes to plan for the little chap. He also said that there's a large supply of cuddles at the practice as they slladore him. Which will sit him as he's a real lap kitty :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, no, so sorry he has to have an op.

All very best wishes and please let us know how he goes on, good luck to the little guy x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello & welcome Alrhios poor little kitty. As Lilith posted keep us posted & tell the vet there’s fusses from cyberspace for the little un.
Alrhios
New Cat Chatter

Post by Alrhios »

Vet just called. He said he has a very different little kitten! He's not got the pain in his tummy, eaten half a chicken breast and is playing!!!.... Plus getting LOTS. Of cuddles. I'm soooo relieved, but that's not to say we're out of the woods. He suspects that the blockage has possibly moved, so holding off surgery and rescanning tummy. If all good he can come home tomorrow afternoon :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Encouraging news! All fingers, paws, tails still crossed here that things are errrm, on the move! :D
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Fingers crossed it is sorting itself out and he can get it out of his system without needing an op.

Then all you have to do is stop him chewing plastic, and from an owner of a plastic chewer that is easier said than done. Hopefully it will be connected to his age (he might be teething) so will grow out of it, but my main advise is to make sure that anything that comes in plastic is taken out of it and the plastic thrown away, this includes things like magazines that come in the post, kitchen roll, plastic bags they put food in, etc, you don't realise how much comes in plastic wrapping until you have to start throwing it all away the moment it comes into the house.
Alrhios
New Cat Chatter

Post by Alrhios »

well I picked him up and hes been eating well & playing with the others.
Came down this morning to see he'd had an upset tummy in the night and didnt want his chicken this morning :(
Ill try him again in half hour or so and if still doesnt want it i guess he'll be back to the vet again :(
Heartbreaking when they're so tiny and poorly :(
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Poor thing, lets hope it isn't flaring up again.

My one thought is is there anything he could be chewing while he is back home that he didn't have access to at the vets. Is there anyone you could borrow a kitten pen or dog crate off so you could confine him while you aren't with him. I don't like confining them but it does seem a bit odd that he picked up so well at the vets and then deteriorated once home. It might also be worth having a word with the vets and see what food he was on there just in case it was something different and he is having a reaction to his normal food.

Hope he's feeling better soon.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

How is he now? Everything still crossed here for him.