Cat no longer likes any of his food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat no longer likes any of his food

Post by ymv13 »

Hi. I’m looking for advice as I am at my wits end. My 9 year old male cat has over the past week decided he dorsn’t Like any of the cat food I give him. He has always been a bit fussy but things are now out of hand.

He fusses for food but any I give him, previous favourites, new varieties, cheap, expensive. Chunks, flakes, etc are either completely ignored or the gravy/jelly is licked and the meat left. If I am lucky he might eat a few bits but most goes in the bin. He has also decided he no longer like cooked chicken which he previously loved.

He will eat a bit of dry food sometimes and fish if I am cooking it.

He is mainly an indoor cat, only going out when I am at home. He never goes out for more tha 15 minutesbefore he is back in the garden, so I don’t think he is being fed elsewhere.

His other behaviour is ok, he like to play and climb and seems happy. There is no excessive grooming and he doesn’t seem to be losing weight.

So for the long post, but any suggestions as it what I can do would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Yvonne
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat no longer likes any of his food

Post by fjm »

Have you checked his mouth and teeth? Does he eat if the food is liquidised into a puree? If he is not eating but not losing weight I would suspect he is getting food somewhere - if all else checks out OK a paper collar asking if he is scrounging may be a good idea.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ymv13 »

His teeth seem ok. I have tried pate type food but he won’t even lick it. I gave him few small pieces of lamb that I had for dinner this evening. He loved it and chomped his way through it, so he hasn’t got a problem chewing.

I will try the paper collar idea and hope he falls back in love with the food he should be eating.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

healthy cats do do this at times, but he needs to eat a reasonable amount each day

If he still eats fish I'd let him have at least enough to keep him going, until either he starts eating other food or you can figure out what is going on with him - but I do think a vet visit is in order so his mouth and throat can be properly examined, and bloods taken to see if anything is going on

even if the bloods show nothing, 9 is about the right age to be giving him a thorough MOT
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I’d get a vet trip too. My cat’s about 8 1/2 and has to have a dental on Monday and I wouldn’t know she needed this as she’s eating fine, other than my vet checking her mouth when she had her vaccinations. Bloods are a good idea too at that age, if she’s not eating as usual.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

ymv13 wrote:Hi. I’m looking for advice as I am at my wits end. My 9 year old male cat has over the past week decided he dorsn’t Like any of the cat food I give him. He has always been a bit fussy but things are now out of hand.

He fusses for food but any I give him, previous favourites, new varieties, cheap, expensive. Chunks, flakes, etc are either completely ignored or the gravy/jelly is licked and the meat left. If I am lucky he might eat a few bits but most goes in the bin. He has also decided he no longer like cooked chicken which he previously loved.

He will eat a bit of dry food sometimes and fish if I am cooking it.

He is mainly an indoor cat, only going out when I am at home. He never goes out for more tha 15 minutesbefore he is back in the garden, so I don’t think he is being fed elsewhere.

His other behaviour is ok, he like to play and climb and seems happy. There is no excessive grooming and he doesn’t seem to be losing weight.

So for the long post, but any suggestions as it what I can do would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne, one of my cats does exactly as you have described with his eating habits when he is constipated. Mewls for his food but just licks or nibbles, turns his nose up at a plethora of favourites but enjoys a bit of shared beef or lamb etc. As soon has his medication takes affect and he has left a steaming pile in his litter...the bowls of his usual grub are polished off, licked clean, demands for second helpings made noisily clear..
Assuming all else has been discounted, it might be worth investigation.

Issi
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ymv13 »

Took him to the vet yesterday. They could find no reason why he is off his food. No bad dental problems, stomach ok. Temperature ok. He han’t Lost weight. They didn’t say anything about possible constipation though.

Vet thinks it might be his metabolism slowing down!

Since the visit he has eaten some dry food and cooked chicken breast which is better than nothing. Will keep a close eye on him & hope things improve in the coming days.

Thank you for all of your support and suggestions.

Yvonne