Sudden litter tray issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Raroberts95
New Cat Chatter

Sudden litter tray issues

Post by Raroberts95 »

Hi all, really need some help with my two kittens. I have two British shorthair kittens both now around 5/6 months old. When they first came to us they were fully littered trained and slowly we moved them into a hooded tray with eco paper litter then non clumping clay with success. Fast forward 2 months and all of a sudden my male is no longer using the box and is instead just going anywhere. He as pooed in my bed. In my wash basket. Reguarly on my lounge rug. Its not even that there appears to be a paticular section of the house he favours. Now, my female kitten has started to copy. I'm at my wits end. I've tried positive rewards, treats when they use the box correctly. Whenever they've used an area they shouldn't I've blocked of access. I've even removed the rug. I've now gone back to the eco litter and have given them two litter boxes. One open and one closed with the different litters in. Can anyone help? What is going wrong!?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sudden litter tray issues

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Ugh, poor you! I can sympathise, having recently hacked off a third of my front room carpet because of a persistent carpet-wetter. She's being a good girl now (paws crossed) but it's a pity we can't give them a questionnaire to fill in and indicate preferences as to litter, tray etc ... I think I've sussed out her reasons but it can take a whole lot of detective work before you do. Here are a few common reasons why this can happen:

Lack of neutering (I'm assuming your guys are 'done.')
'Fragrance' in litter - pleasing to the owner but not the cat, especially when the litter has even one wet clump. Or new smells from deodorisers, disinfectants etc.
Texture of litter - some prefer coarse and gritty, others like soft.
Lack of privacy - if the tray's in a busy place, overlooked by noisy children etc.
Stress - some recent happening, addition of puppy, baby, to household, even an outside change like a bullying cat in the neighbourhood.

Hopefully other people will be along with more suggestions but hope this helps for now - and good luck, the problem CAN be solved. :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

A few more possibilities -
Pain/scare when using the tray, so it no longer feels safe - if all is well physically an additional new tray somewhere else may help.
Not enough trays, especially as they are getting older (the rule of thumb is trays=number of cats + 1).
Inadequate cleaning of areas used, so they now smell attractive especially to your second cat - use an enzyme cleaner/washing powder, and/or white vinegar.
Raroberts95
New Cat Chatter

Post by Raroberts95 »

Thanks guys! We only have one litter tray and whilst it is big, I wonder whether a different shape/size would give them a bit more variety and a choice. Plus, it would make sense that they'd each one their own "loo". For now, the rug is staying away (!) but I'm going to see if offering more toilet choices will help. Thanks again :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

If it is one litter tray to two cats it does bring up another possible problem, one cat is being controlling and blocking access to the litter tray. At 5/6 months they will be changing from kittens to cats and if they haven't already been spayed/neutered hormones will be raging, even if they have been done then their bodies will be changing as they become more adult.

Rather than actually fighting to establish dominance they can try and control the other's behaviour, lying placidly across the route to the litter tray can look happy and relaxed to us but to another cat it can be a message 'you are going to get a slap if you try and get past me', so the cat looks for somewhere to go that isn't going to give them trouble.

If this is the case then the solution is easy, a second litter tray in a different area, depending on the size of your house the normal advice for the number of litter trays is 'number of cats +1', but in a lot of houses that just isn't practical. Try and have them in different rooms to make it harder for one cat to block them both.

While you are at it plenty of water bowls are also worth while to stop them blocking access to those.

Hopefully it will soon sort itself out, it certainly isn't something you want to come home to every day.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

HI and welcome. Just to add to all the other good advice this link may be helpful:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors