worming my cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

worming my cats

Post by papa cat »

My vet prescribed Milpro worming tablets for my two cats. I ground them up and mixed them in with their food but they have just sniffed at the food but won't eat it.
Can anyone suggest an alternative ? I have heard of spot-on wormer which is applied through the skin (the back of the neck I believe).Is it safe and is it effective ?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: worming my cats

Post by alanc »

My vet recommends Broadline, which is a squirt on back of neck type application that kills fleas, worms and ticks for 4 weeks. I use it on Tilly and it is effective, although I have heard that in some parts of the country fleas are getting resistant to it.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We use Stronghold flea treatment and that does cover some worms as well.

I have heard that someone, i think it was Drontal, have just brought out a spot on wormer that covers all intestinal worms, though I haven't used it yet and would want to check with my vet that it wasn't a problem giving it to cat that are already on Stronghold, I would hate to give them an overdose of wormer.
Baumgardner
New Cat Chatter

Post by Baumgardner »

Ruth B wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 am We frequently use these probiotics and that does cover some worms as well.

I have heard that someone, i think it was Drontal, have just brought out a spot on wormer that covers all intestinal worms, though I haven't used it yet and would want to check with my vet that it wasn't a problem giving it to cat that are already on Stronghold, I would hate to give them an overdose of wormer.
Same thing happened to me too. My kitty just sniffed the food and took a pass. I thought it wouldn't work. But the second time I just left the food over night and she ate it. Either the scent of the medicine was gone, or she was hungry enough to not care about it.
Last edited by Baumgardner on Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Ruth B wrote:We use Stronghold flea treatment and that does cover some worms as well.

You could use Droncit, it does the one type of worm that Stronghold doesn't.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

We use stronghold...I would recommend. The downside is because my boy is 6kg, we have to apply 3 pipettes...it takes 2 of use and a large towel! :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Red wine lady wrote:We use stronghold...I would recommend. The downside is because my boy is 6kg, we have to apply 3 pipettes...it takes 2 of use and a large towel! :D
I'm not sure where you are buying your stronghold from but do a large size for cats over 5kg so they only need one pipette
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Our vets...!

Apologises (phew)...stronghold flee treatment, we have Mipet Quantex spot on x 3, form worming. Just checked x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Not heard of that one, the only spot on I know that does all types of worms only goes up to 5kg so you'd still need 2 pipettes
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

I will query at the vets, thank you x