Sneezing issue leaving vet baffled

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Charmar
New Cat Chatter

Sneezing issue leaving vet baffled

Post by Charmar »

Looking for advice if anyone has any ideas please!
My cat has been sneezing pretty much constantly for the last three weeks. My vet gave me the usual 5 day course of mild antibiotics along with the antibiotic jag and another jag to soothe his throat. His symptoms worsened and I was given an anti inflammatory liquid called Mexi-aid which also made no difference. He was then sedated last week and x rayed with a tooth removed from the bottom jaw which was infected but wasnt the cause of the issues. Nothing was found stuck in his nose or throat and x rays were clear. After 7 days of strong 50mg doxycycline antibiotics it has made no difference. The vet is baffled. Any ideas? Oh, and his breath is absolutely awful but no cause found. Thanks
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Sneezing issue leaving vet baffled

Post by Janey »

If the vet can definitely find nothing then the only thing I can think is some form of allergy - was this mentioned? Although allergies can start at any time, even after using something for years, can you think of anything you changed when this started? did you start using any different perfumes, deodorants, household cleaners, washpowders etc? have you started using room sprays or candles, is there something outside he could be sniffing? has his food changed even. That’s what I’d be looking at now, or get a second opinion because something is causing it. Poor lad must be fed up, give him a snuggle from me.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Charmar wrote:Nothing was found stuck in his nose or throat and x rays were clear
Hi,
What kind of test did the vet do and he saw nothing?
Did he do a rhinoscopy?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

My thought was an allergy, it might be worth asking if any of the injections included an antihistamine.

The other possibility would be a viral infection as those don't respond to antibiotics, but normally they clear up in a couple of weeks.

Poor lad, I hope he is feeling better soon.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Have come across this problem several times being in rescue and having a great vet have had success with baytril but must be 4 to 6 week course also had suçcess with a 4 week course of stomagyl both are antibiotics its usually the nasty bacteria that cause the breath smell bisolvon powder is a decongestant you can get from the vet and helps loosen the mucus allowing easier breathing and helping the antibiotics to work most cats will take it on their food
Hendrixfiv
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hendrixfiv »

Hi im new to the forum. My cat has been sneezing and has had runnny eyes , snores and a runny nose. At the vets tonight he was given some antibiotics etc but also some powder called Bisolvon which I have to sprinkle a pinch of onto his food once a day. I have read alot of positive reviews saying this stuff is Great and breaks down the mucus allowing him to get rid of it , like a decongestant. Might be something to look at with the vet , especially if your cat is fostered from a shelter and they help with the bill
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I hope that you’ve managed to sort this out now.
If it’s a mucus problem then I agree about the Bisolvon. My cat had to take that all the time for nasal problems, a pinch in his water each day and it worked very well at thinning the mucus.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I hadn't heard of bisolvon, but it sounds like a mucolytic (thins mucus).

I wonder if it's available for humans?