Metacam Issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Metacam Issues

Post by glendvd »

Just wondered if anyone on here knew of any issues with Metacam causing kidney failure in cats. I've looked it up online and came across quite a startling website with countless testimonies about cats having routine operations, being given oral Metacam for the pain afterwards, and days/weeks later their cat is dead from kidney failure. And from what I've read, you're not really supposed to administer oral Metacam to cats as it's too dangerous.

Has anybody on here ever come across this issue with their cat, or (and I probably shouldn't use this phrase on a cat website!) am I barking up the wrong tree?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Metacam Issues

Post by lilynmitz »

Glen, see my comments re metacam on your other thread. Oral metacam does get some bad press, and sometimes for the wrong reasons. It's mainly an issue with cats who already have severe kidney problems. But even then, it's still appropriate to use it in some cases. For example, my Lily has had failing kidneys for some years now but she also has severe arthritis, so with the vet's agreement, I do put her on short courses of low doses of metacam just to relieve the inflammation and discomfort. I would rather she had this, even if it shortens her life a little, than a long life of suffering.

But if you look on the internet long enough, you will find scare stories on absolutely everything you can think of, but it doesn't mean they're right. If they were, we'd all have been dead long ago, aliens would have taken over the planet, and toothpaste would be the new wonder drug. So ditch the internet searches, it won't make you feel any better, it won't give you any answers, and it won't bring your lovely puss back. You and your vet did all you could for him, but our bodies are very frail and some battles just can't be won.

Be kind to yourself, and remember your puss as he was in all the years before.
glendvd
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Metacam Issues

Post by glendvd »

lilynmitz wrote:Glen, see my comments re metacam on your other thread. Oral metacam does get some bad press, and sometimes for the wrong reasons. It's mainly an issue with cats who already have severe kidney problems. But even then, it's still appropriate to use it in some cases. For example, my Lily has had failing kidneys for some years now but she also has severe arthritis, so with the vet's agreement, I do put her on short courses of low doses of metacam just to relieve the inflammation and discomfort. I would rather she had this, even if it shortens her life a little, than a long life of suffering.

But if you look on the internet long enough, you will find scare stories on absolutely everything you can think of, but it doesn't mean they're right. If they were, we'd all have been dead long ago, aliens would have taken over the planet, and toothpaste would be the new wonder drug. So ditch the internet searches, it won't make you feel any better, it won't give you any answers, and it won't bring your lovely puss back. You and your vet did all you could for him, but our bodies are very frail and some battles just can't be won.

Be kind to yourself, and remember your puss as he was in all the years before.
Ok thanks for the 2 replies. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong by getting some advice from people on here who know lots about cats. I shall now put my mind at rest thanks.