I have a bald kitten!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Akjanjic
New Cat Chatter

I have a bald kitten!!!

Post by Akjanjic »

Hi
My Maine coon girl had 8 kittens 31st Oct. all seem happy and content.
Mum is up to date with vaccinations is wormed and flead
So our black and white fluff ball has started losing hair behind ears, down and round neck and also along spine no cuts or scabs and this started happening over last 3 days and when you tug gently it comes out
Any ideas
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: I have a bald kitten!!!

Post by elastu »

Welcome to CC. Possibly not want you want to hear but if the little on were mine I would contact the vet. The sooner it is correctly diagnosed rather than maybe trying different potions and lotions the better.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Is it the mother or one of the kittens that is losing hair? I agree - vet visit needed. It could be one of many things, but alopecia on that scale needs investigation.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Yes, I agree about the vet - would yours make a home visit? If finances allow of course. If it is the mother I've seen and heard of breeding queens with aleopecia due to hormonal problems - but never in a nursing queen with a previously good coat. What usually cured these girls was spaying - not something you want to do if she's anticipating a breeding career. And I've never seen or heard of aleopecia as dramatic as this.

They say that pregnancy in humans thins the hair, though ... hormones again perhaps.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ooops sorry - edit - I have just seen the title! :oops:

I'll leave the previous post as it's been there 12 hours and it might help someone with an adult with aleopecia.

Poor little thing - never heard of this happening to a newborn. I hope the vet can shed some light and again, all the best!