What's this white thing on my cat?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
K4
New Cat Chatter

What's this white thing on my cat?

Post by K4 »

Hello,

I've owned a cat for more than two years but I am still inexperience in identifying health issues. Today I felt this weird spot on him. When I examined closer it was white spot which felt crusty. I'd like help with identifying what it is and what I should do to prevent it? Is this normal or some sort of disease?
I have attached two images. Sorry if theyre not clear ( my camera isnt that great). The second pic i tried to scratch it so it would come off.

I would appreciate any replies
Attachments
Picture 2
Picture 2
Picture 1
Picture 1
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: What's this white thing on my cat?

Post by Ruth B »

My best advise is if in doubt try and get a vet to look at it, it might be nothing more than a wart, I had a cat which had them, alternatively it could be something that needs dealing with, ticks can appear white and if part has broken off then the rest needs dealing with, or there may be a load of other things that give spots like that.

A vet would always rather see an animal that has nothing really wrong with it than to have one brought in months later with a condition that can't be treated or requires major work to solve.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

It could be so many things - could it be as simple as a small scab from a graze or insect bite? Is it itchy, sore or hot to feel? Any swelling? Any signs of ringworm? If in doubt, call your vet, but if it is not sore, not getting any bigger, and your cat is otherwise well I would watch it for a few days. If it gets better, and no more appear, perhaps raise it with your vet at your next routine visit; if there are further symptoms make an appointment sooner rather than later.
K4
New Cat Chatter

Post by K4 »

Thanks very much for all your replies. There havent been any major symptoms but I saw the same thing a few months ago in another area on his head and thought it was one off . It could be ringworms but I will definitely check with my vet.