Denver

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Denver

Post by hgale »

I am getting a new cat soon, he currently belongs to my neighbours who are moving and they can't take him with them. My main query is should I still keep him in for a few days after getting him (like if he came from another area) or can I let him out at once (as he lives next door, he knows the area). I would also like to know the main differences between wood based litter (which he currently uses) and Thomas type litter (which my girls always used).

Thank you.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Denver

Post by greenkitty »

How exciting :)

It's a difficult one, because you live in such close proximity to his old home. Normally I would say keep him 3-4 weeks so he has a strong sense your house is now his home but I'm not sure that would work with his old home so close.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

as long as there is no left open cat flap in his current home, I suspect he will be fine - but could you not start feeding him in your house before he is officially yours - cats do tend to consider home is where the grub is

can't comment on the cat litter, I'm afraid, as I don't use either
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think Kay is right. The cat is probably used to your garden anyway. So if he is use to doing so and your new neighbours don't mind him popping back there should not be a problem. Feeding him in your house asap is a good idea.

Some years back we lived at the end of a cul-de-sac. Our next door but one neighbours on either side both had teenage children. One had a little tortie, Jess, who would spend most of the day sitting at the gate watching the world go by. That family had 2 quite wild teenagers. One day Jess walked across the road and sat outside the neighbour's gate - she never went back! She preferred the quiet life and both families were happy with her choice.

As for the kitty litter, I don't think there is much difference. Our cats prefer the wood - which suits me fine as I find the other stuff iccky when wet.

All the best with your new kitty I hope he settles in soon.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I adopted a cat who used to live next door to me (they were moving away and couldn't take her). They just locked the cat flap and I kept her in for a few days so she knew where the new food supply was. We did have a few incidents when they revisited their old house till it was sold - one where she followed them down the street crying so they brought her back to me, really upset themselves, and for a while she used to run to the door when she heard their door opening, but tbh that was about it. She got so much more love and fuss from me than from the neighbours she was happy to call me her new mummy very quickly!