Does my cat's feline acne need immediate veterinary attention?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CuriousCat1
New Cat Chatter

Does my cat's feline acne need immediate veterinary attention?

Post by CuriousCat1 »

Majority of blackheads caught in comb
Majority of blackheads caught in comb

Hello cat lovers,

My cat is an approximately 8 year old tabby and white cat and he appears to be suffering from feline acne.

I first noticed he had a bald patch under his chin around Christmas time from over-scratching, but after I did some research online I saw that it was most likely feline acne. He had his flea and worm treatments from the vet and didn't have anything anywhere else on his body. He also didn't seem to be irritated anywhere else and he was still an inside cat while I he got accustomed to my house.

I decided to start taking action and making small changes by changing his food bowl from plastic to ceramic (as I read this is a likely cause of cat acne) and i also put him on a higher quality dry food (ProPlan which he was on before). However I do give him half a sachet of Felix As Good As It Looks with each meal because he absolutely loves it.

I adopted him from an agency in late November, noticed the "blackheads" in late December and decided to self treat by cleaning under the chin with a face cloth of warm water, combing out the blackheads with a flea comb and using a bit of witch hazel under the chin - all things I have read about online and seemed pretty actionable. The bald spot has grown back, but the chin still has blackheads and is now redder than before. I stopped using the witch hazel after two days just to see if it would calm down, so now I'm just routinely checking his chin every day.

Do you think this needs urgent attention? I have been looking on forums just like these and there are no white pustles or growths. Just the blackheads and redness. I will probably take him to the vet as soon as I get paid at the end of the month, but do you still think it is worth me taking him to visit asap? I took him to the vet in December a few weeks after I got him to help clip his claws, and she didn't notice anything.

However, I have images from across the time period from first noticing it until yesterday night and though it is changing in look, there are still blackheads it it looks redder at the chin than before. Just to add, though, Archie seems fine in himself, is still eating and allows me to stroke him under his neck/chin so doesn't appear to be in discomfort.

Your advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks CuriousCat1

PS: Photos attached from first sightings in late Dec to the most recent.
Attachments
From further away noticed blackheads
From further away noticed blackheads
First sighting of bald patch. Very clean looking.
First sighting of bald patch. Very clean looking.
Now most blackheads cleared and patch has grown, chin seems redder close up
Now most blackheads cleared and patch has grown, chin seems redder close up
Redder chin from further away
Redder chin from further away
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Does my cat's feline acne need immediate veterinary attention?

Post by fjm »

I don't think the redness warrants an urgent vet appointment unless it gets sore and sticky. I cleared Tilly's mild acne with regular bathing, drying and applications of Hypercal ointment - might be worth a try. I find the ointment much more effective than the cream, probably because the lanolin keeps the skin flexible while it heals.
CuriousCat1
New Cat Chatter

Re: Does my cat's feline acne need immediate veterinary attention?

Post by CuriousCat1 »

Thank you. I will keep an eye on it and see if it improves. At the very least until I can afford the vet in a week's time.