Inappropriate urination after blockage! Help Please!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
helpmycat
New Cat Chatter

Inappropriate urination after blockage! Help Please!

Post by helpmycat »

Hi guys, I am super stressed and just about at my wits end. I absolutely do not want to rehome my kitty.

I have a male and female 11/2 year old bonded pair. They are both strictly indoor cats and have been fixed.

About 2 months ago, the male had a partial urinary block due to crystals. He was placed on antibiotics, drained, and special prescription food.

Now when this was going on - before and after - he was peeing blood outside the litter box, understandably as he was uncomfortable and couldn't help it. He would make angry noises as he was in pain and discomfort.

But now he won't stop. He still uses the litter box, but also goes outside of it. It's always strictly urine however.

When I pick him up to move him while hes peeing (usually because he's on my bed or the couch) or even touch him, he growls and makes this angry noise. Exactly the same angry noises as before. I have also noticed that he'll immediately lick himself or will rub his butt on the ground or scoot. The only difference is no blood in the urine.

Side note* With regards to the scooting, I know it can be caused by fleas. I have been struggling with this in my home. They've been treated but they're so bad this year that everyone I know is struggling to get rid of them. Even those with pets that are on constant flea meds.

They've also been dewormed.

I have the Feliway and the special enzyme cleaners. I have two litter boxes I try my best to keep clean. However, even this morning, after it was cleaned the night prior, he peed directly in front of it! Then five minutes later he went inside of it.

I'm honestly at my wits end and I don't know what to do. Hes not pooping outside of the box or anything.

I moved and split up with my partner in October so I don't know if that has something to do with it. He never moved before. His sister is also not aggressive or hostile with him - if anything he is more of a bully to her.

I have been stressed due to life things as most human adults are, but nothing super major. I do get him in trouble when he pees however. I give him a butt tap and say 'bad' - I do not strike them! I also grab him and put him on the floor whenever I catch him peeing. I do fear this is causing him stress as now he thinks of me as this big bad horrible person and pees because he feels stressed out living with me. But he still purrs in my presence and sleeps at the foot of my bed. He's excited to see me and greats me when I come home.

I do not know what to do. He has cost me $1000s in vet bills already and I'm so stressed, but I don't just want to give him up.