need advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
angela135
New Cat Chatter

need advice

Post by angela135 »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. So, we bought bengal cat almost year ago. After 4 months he started escaping from our house. Two times we could find him for four days straight. Every time I go to work I'm afraid that I'm not gonna find him when I'm back.. Our vet recommended us cat gps tracker, I did a lot of research and I think this product could make my life a lot easier. Maybe you are using it to? What are pros and cons? Is it worth paying money? (link removed)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advertising link removed
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: need advice

Post by alanc »

I have no experience of using any of these gadgets, though if my Badger were still alive, I might give serious thought to getting one.
I don't think there is enough information in those write ups to be able to decide which is best.
Some thoughts, however, based on experience with GPS systems and hunting for Badger:
You will need to know what the read out is - one which you can carry around to keep his location up to date will be much more useful than one you can only read at home. This will also enable you to negate some of the problems of short range gadgets as you can wander around until you get a signal.
GPS's do not work indoors or very well under dense vegetation. The gadget will need to give you the last known position so you can see which garage or thicket he has holed up in.
What kind of battery do they use and how expensive are they? You are going to need a lot of them or rechargeable ones. How easy they are to change will also be important, especially for the short battery life ones. Low battery indicators are also essential.
Finally, and most important - only use a quick release collar that breaks before it strangles your cat if he gets caught on a branch or something.
Bar_IL
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bar_IL »

Hey
Im from israel and all my cats got a chip in the back of rheirs necks although their domestic and not going outdoor.
The chip very small, something like a small marble...
This chip can help other vets to recognize the cat and return it to his owners, thats if he gets on the run again...
Hope i gave u the answers to ur questions, and good luck with ur speedster
Pukon
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pukon »

I recently bought a cat tracking collar and it was a disaster!
I went with a UK company called Pawtrack. They claim the "best" and smallest GPS tracker. My cat is quite small, so I wanted to avoid a big chunky collar.
It took a month for the collar to arrive. Then it would not connect with the app. After many emails back and forth, it finally connected but was wildly inaccurate and usually failed to track completely. After more emails I was told that it's working fine!
I have spent over £100 on the collar and subscription and now, after returning the collar for a refund...silence. They won't reply to the three email addresses I have for them and the phone number listed is out of service.
Please, please don't take a chance on these guys. Terrible product and customer service. I am over £100 out of pocket and it's now clear they have no intention of returning my money.

We now have a Tractive one and it works fine.