Broadline new cat flea plus worm treatment, anyone tried?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
canterbury-cats
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Broadline new cat flea plus worm treatment, anyone tried?

Post by canterbury-cats »

[color=#80FFBF[/color]all my cats are hunters so regular worm & flea treatment needed. I currently use. advocate &profender. Cost a fortune. Has anyone used the new Broadline spot on? Prescription only but does do worms as well as fleas. But like all not roundworm.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Broadline new cat flea plus worm treatment, anyone tried

Post by Jan »

Sorry I can't help with answer re worm treatment - but like you. I'm also on the lookout for a new worm treatment for our cat. I won't be using Profender ever again. On the first 2 occasions, he had a bit of hair loss but nothing too much. However, on the 3rd time of using it, our cat had a very bad reaction to it - lost a lot of fur on the back of his neck and skin became inflamed and sore.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Batfink »

Hi,

Sorry I can't help with your query either. I was wondering if you knew the recommended frequency of broadline treatments? Someone I'm pet sitting for mentioned the product and I have been trying to find out more but there doesn't seem to be much information available online. I will ask the vets where she bought it from. The one thing she did say was that she struggled to stop her four feral cats from licking the product. Which she had been advised to avoid as it can provide ([in my opinion] worrying) side effects which sound neurological to me i.e. Disorientation, poor coordination etc.

Many thanks in advance and apologies for not being able to help much.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

interesting what you say Jan, as my Tiffany has had exactly that reaction from both Stronghold and Advocate, so now I know it was almost certainly the wormer element that was the culprit
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Yes I have used it on a few now, seems to work and does all worms too incl roundworm.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

meandmymunki - can you tell me the frequency that treatment is recommended please?
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

It can be used monthly and if only using that you would need to for flea control but I only worm
Mine 3 monthly so use advantage the other 2 months.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

Thank you very much for the information. I'd struggled to find out much online about it.
buster123
New Cat Chatter

Re: Broadline new cat flea plus worm treatment, anyone tried?

Post by buster123 »

My cat has had a allergic reaction, 2 days now'mouth has swollen.I put broadline worm and flea treatment on him.I will never use this again.!!!!!!
Rjcoop
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rjcoop »

buster123 wrote:My cat has had a allergic reaction, 2 days now'mouth has swollen.I put broadline worm and flea treatment on him.I will never use this again.!!!!!!
How did the reaction start? Just used it on my Ragdoll cross a couple of hours ago and he seems very agitated. He's restless and keeps trying to lick the spot where it was applied. He's not happy with me at all. :(
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I did my two with Broadline a couple of weeks ago. For the first few hours, they were scratching at the place, then they settled down and didn't seem bothered. The stuff left a kind of oily feel on the fur, which took several days to go away, even with being brushed.

My vet said once a month, but I don't use it as often as that. My cats' outside space is an enclosed run, which limits their contact with other cats. I realise that wire netting won't stop fleas coming through ;) . But I think my cats are at relatively low risk for contracting parasites. Last time I did them, they had just come home from a cattery, so it was preventative treatment in case they had picked up passengers. I've never seen evidence of fleas on either of them. Hard to tell about worms; they defecate in a sandpit in the garden, so by the time I clean out the lumps, they are covered in sand.

Mary
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I personally don't like using chemicals / toxins unless I have to. So my lot get wormed with Milbemax tablets twice a year as that seems to cover all worms.

"Milbemax is indicated for the control of roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms as well as the prevention of heartworm in cats."

It probably should be more often than twice a year; but it's working for us and they're quite healthy (I think).

As for fleas, I use Stronghold for that; monthly for Harry and Abbie (Harry because we think he may be a bit sensitive to fleas and Abbie because she has ear mites) but hardly ever for the other four. They don't have fleas, I've never seen a flea on them or in the house so I don't think there's a need. Obviously if I was struggling with a flea infestation I'd be doing what needs to be done

i know many people may disagree with my views; but hey.... ;)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

meriad wrote:I personally don't like using chemicals / toxins unless I have to. So my lot get wormed with Milbemax tablets twice a year as that seems to cover all worms.

"Milbemax is indicated for the control of roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms as well as the prevention of heartworm in cats."

It probably should be more often than twice a year; but it's working for us and they're quite healthy (I think).

As for fleas, I use Stronghold for that; monthly for Harry and Abbie (Harry because we think he may be a bit sensitive to fleas and Abbie because she has ear mites) but hardly ever for the other four. They don't have fleas, I've never seen a flea on them or in the house so I don't think there's a need. Obviously if I was struggling with a flea infestation I'd be doing what needs to be done

i know many people may disagree with my views; but hey.... ;)
Stronghold also covers roundworm