Cat howling and pawing at door during the night

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat howling and pawing at door during the night

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

A bit of background. On Saturday I got a rehomed cat. Seven months ago, her original owner died and she’s been at multiple temporary arrangements since then, including about four weeks of being left in her original owners house and someone popping in to feed her.
I am well aware that she will take a while to properly settle and she won’t understand what has been happening. And I’m sure it’s going to take even longer before she knows she is now in a permanent home and won’t be moved again. I also know that she used to sleep with her original owner and the previous owner during the night.

Anyway, I’ve considered what I should do overnight. I’ve been shutting her in the kitchen where she has everything she needs - water, litter tray, cat bed, scratching post, cardboard box, a toy that is safe unsupervised and plenty of places to hide. And she howls and howls and paws at the kitchen door. It’s keeping me awake and I’m worried the neighbours can hear her (terraced house). And she does this even though I’ve spent so much time with her during the day (playing, fussing, grooming etc). Though during the day, she is allowed anywhere in the house, this isn’t a good option during the night. I can’t sleep with the bedroom door open, so she would be confined to the bedroom and I tend to toss and turn so would be worried I’d hurt her. And I suspect she’ll still howl at some point to be let out. I have also noticed she does this behaviour during the day if I have to shut her on the other side of a door even for a few minutes (like to open an external door). Or when she wants to go to another room. She is naturally an attention loving, demanding cat and at moment follows me around like a second shadow (furry) shadow.
Is what she doing normal? Is it a sign she is distressed and if so what can I do to help her and me get some sleep? Is it because she is still new to this house and it will improve as she settles? I don’t want her to feel abandoned again.

I have owned cats before but always from kitten. The first two didn’t howl during the night. And my bedroom was positioned such I would have heard it. The second two I could believe would have howled but where they were kept overnight and where my bedroom was, I would never have heard it. And the routine was established from kitten. And in both those instances, the neighbours were that little bit further away.

The howling during the night, combined with the early morning howling for breakfast mean I’ve had her less than a week and I’m already exhausted from lack of sleep.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat howling and pawing at door during the night

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately if she is used to sleeping with her previous owner, letting her in the bedroom is likely the only thing that will calm her down. I wouldn't worry too much about hurting her if you toss and turn a lot, cats are quite clever in that regard, although she may indeed want to go out for the toilet at some point. Most cats don't like doors being shut, suspect it's their natural curiosity.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

When I had two cats which didn't get on well together I used to keep one in my bedroom at night, with the door closed to avoid possible fights, and kept a litter tray in the room (and an aerosol spray handy in case of 'fragrance' from it!) That worked well, but I'd done it from one being a kitten.

Another thought - would it be possible to have a cat flap in your bedroom door? That way you'd be happy to keep the door closed and the cat could come and go.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I find cat flaps in interior doors very useful - it lets me shut doors when it's chilly, and shut cats away when strangers are in the house, or deliveries are made
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I had thought about a cat flap in the door
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Thanks everyone. A cat flap might be an option. I’d have to get permission (I don’t own the property, my parents do) but they might agree if I agree to replace the doors back to standard ones if I ever move out. But it will take a while to convince them.

Weirdly, she’s quiet tonight, not sure why. But at least I can get some sleep. But will definitly look into the cat flap idea.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

So I tried letting her sleep with me. Did not go well at all. I mean, she was happy until things started going wrong. First she jumped on me just as I was dozing off. Unfortunately she landed right on my privates. Neither of us appreciated that. After that fright, she settled in a position that was ok for a little while (so I let her stay there and gave her a fuss) but not comfy enough for me to sleep. Tried to move her slightly (like not even off the bed), got growled at (that sort of ‘I’m comfy, get lost’ growl rather than fear). But she settled and I finally drifted off. At some point I must of turned in my sleep, my arm (I think) landed on her and make her jump which then woke me up.

By the morning I was dealing with a nervous cat and being treated like I had committed the ultimate sin.

So, for both of our sakes, her sleeping with me is out. Anything else I can do to help her settle over night in the kitchen? I’ve plugged in a Feliway and I’ve learnt she is slightly better if I’m quick at turning the landing light out (I’m guessing she can see the light under the door). But she still howls and paws at the door. I also know the neighbours can hear her as one of them asked me if I had been hearing foxes (didn’t know I had got a cat). I don’t think allowing her out the kitchen but not into my bedroom will make a difference. It will just move the howling and pawing to right outside the door. And nearer the neighbours bedrooms as well. It also seems to be totally independent of how long I have spent with her during the day.

Thankfully, I seem to be forgiven for disturbing her sleep that night.