Should I report my neighbours to the RSPCA?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
louiseweaver
Returning Cat Chatter

Should I report my neighbours to the RSPCA?

Post by louiseweaver »

The house opposite me has a cat and I'm worried that they are not treating him properly. I've seen their little girl hitting him with an umbrella, trying to kick him, pushing him off a wall about six feet high and generally throwing him around like a toy.

They haven't had him neutered even though he's definitely old enough (which is how I know that he's a boy). I'd guess that he's about 6-9 months old.

I'm also worried that they aren't feeding him enough. In the last few weeks our cat has started going outside she has made friends with him, and he's been visiting our garden and even coming into the house. He eats our cat's leftover food and licks the bowl thoroughly clean, and today my mum found him taking cat food packets out of our rubbish. She gave him a slice of ham and he practically took her arm off he was so eager to eat it.

I've been wondering whether or not I should report it to the RSPCA. He's a bit too thin but he looks healthy and doesn't have any injuries on him, so it may not be a serious enough case for them to care. I've also held back because the neighbours would probably find out it was us, and they are scary-looking people who are friends with our next-door-neighbours, who are even scarier. It would make life pretty difficult for us if we got on their bad side.

What do you think I should do?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Should I report my neighbours to the RSPCA?

Post by KittyWitty »

If you are really worried I'd say make that phone call - all you need to say is that you want to remain anonymous and there is no way of neighbours finding out it was you
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Mmm, that's quite a problem! I've never had much luck with the RSPCA. Can your local Cats Protection help?
It sounds like something needs to be done for the poor little fella. I wish I could be of more help. Let us know how you go on.
We could always hope they move house and leave him behind.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

The best thing to do in cases of welfare issues is to lodge your concerns with the RSPCA’s cruelty and advice line. Describe the circumstances and they will be able to advise if it warrants an inspector’s visit. The number is: 0300 1234 999, and your call will be kept confidential.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Cats Protection doesn't have any legal powers, so it really has to be the RSPCA. If you don't have any luck with the cruelty line, phone your local branch. Poor cat :(
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

I too agree that it needs reporting, we are an animals and childs only voice.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

YES, report asap.
Gillian
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Gillian »

any more news on this. did you report them? Have you taken the cat in? I think I would.