4YO mother not getting on with 4month kitten - Will it last?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
EvaStarshine22
New Cat Chatter

4YO mother not getting on with 4month kitten - Will it last?

Post by EvaStarshine22 »

Hello,

I adopted the mother Cat from our neighbors after they said they were going to take her to a shelter with part of their reasoning being that she was no longer coming into the house and they were worried she'd get pregnant again (not sure how many litters she'd had, but we think it was much more than that one). They said it was because of a kitten she had which they'd gotten rid of several months previously, but we suspected there may have been other reasons (when we first tried to take her back to theirs if she was spending loads of time in our garden she'd freak out whenever she saw them and also they never showed much care for her e.g. not treating her fleas after we told them about her having them and the owner admitting to us he threw one of those snapper things at the floor near her once).

Before we had a chance to get her neutered she got pregnant and subsequently had four kittens. Three of the kittens have now be sent off (One to my sister aged 8 weeks, and the other two left about two or so weeks ago with my housemate and uni friend). Having accidentally bonded with her and the owner turning out to be someone we didn't want to give a kitten to, I am now keeping the final kitten as well as the mother. I love them both so much, they are both delightful and have pretty gentle personalities. When the kitten was younger, she was the one that got on best with the mother cat.

Recently however, the mother cat has begun rejecting the kitten. I know this was to be expected at some point (though I hoped it wouldn't happen). It's been going on a few weeks now and hasn't progressed any further than the mother growling, hissing and swiping at the kitten when she tries to come near to the mum or when the mum walks past the kitten. To make it clear, the mother has not physically harmed the kitten in any way. Originally this was often punctuated by them being friendly (playing together, cleaning each other etc.) but this hasn't happened at all over the past week. I don't have to worry about them being alone together or anything, and they can be in the same room, even both sleeping on my bed without any major issue and the mum is allowed to leave the room if she wants space. I try hard not to play favourites with them too, giving them the same amount of attention and avoiding stroking or cuddling the kitten in front of the mum.

My main questions are: Should I expect the situation to get worse? Will this last for a short period of time, or a longer period of time? Will the mum accept the kitten is staying?

Also I have to move back home for about a year, which is where one of the other kittens currently lives. I have no worries about the two kittens getting on, since they are both pretty social, but how should I deal with the mum being reunited with her kitten?

If I have to get rid of the kitten (which I would absolutely hate to do) it would be a last resort option, so any solutions, or experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated!

(Also, the mother was spayed as soon as the kittens weaned and the kitten will be spayed once she is old enough, as will the other three, so no worries about adding to the population!)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: 4YO mother not getting on with 4month kitten - Will it l

Post by Jacks »

Hi and well done for rescuing this poor cat - sounds like you've been rewarded with two gorgeous girls who you love very much.

To be honest with you I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, but I think there are some dominance issues going on with your two. Female cats become sexually mature any time from 4 months, and the mother would then see the female as a rival for dominance. Ask your vet whether it's time to get the little one spayed and then you will need to reward the mum as being dominant female for a while - so feeding and greeting first - and things should settle down. Of course it may be once the daughter is fully grown she may become dominant, if she is a strong character, but cats generally work these things out with a bit of pushing, shoving and 'handbags'.

I think this is probably what you have here and unless it escalates a simple spaying should sort things out.

As for reintroducing the other kitten to her mum - again make sure she's spayed, then you will need to follow guidelines for introducing any two new cats - a bonding room, scent swapping, etc. but as long as all females are spayed there should be no problem with groups of females getting along, despite the old wives tales that you can't have two females cats in one territory. It would be true if they were both 'Queens' - so unspayed - but not if they are sorted! I have three females who live very happily together. The third one to arrive was a mature cat, the other two kittens at the time, and she has assumed dominance (she likes being dominant anyway) and gives the new addition - a neutered male - a few whacks from time to time to let him know she's the 'boss', but there's never been anything serious.

All the best and do let us know some more about these lovely cats :-)
EvaStarshine22
New Cat Chatter

Post by EvaStarshine22 »

Thank you! That's really helpful to know. I can't get her spayed until 6 months, since that is the earliest the local vets will do it, but I'll take the other advice on board and make sure to try and do that. I do usually try to give the mum more attention to try and stop her feeling sidelined.

The kitten my sister has is a male, but he will be neutered before they get there, will that be more an issue, or is it just the same thing again?

Thank you so much for your help! I'll try to put up some pictures when I have a little more free time! :)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Yes please!

Same thing with the male - get him neutered and he will not smell like a threat, behave badly, 'spray' if his territory is threatened or get testicular cancer...

Males are often quite happy to be submissive to a female 'indoors' when they are neutered, even if outside they vie for territorial rights, so as long as he's been 'done' you should have no problem - introduce the newcomers in the same way as normal.