Cat folks: Let's talk litter boxes.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ciel
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat folks: Let's talk litter boxes.

Post by Ciel »

I have a covered litter box with a charcoal filter. The box has a door but I don't use it as one of my cats is afraid of it.

Up until recently, I've never really had a problem with this box. But now, (I don't know the logic behind it. Maybe old age is making my gag reflexes more sensitive.) I've been doing that dry heave thing when ever I try to clean the box.

It's making my life hell. Would a self cleaning litter box help me out with this? Also, I'd like to know how self cleaning litter boxes handle smell as compared to the one I currently have.

Any other tricks of the trade are welcomed as I'd like to get this whole smell thing under control.

I have two cats if that matters.

Thanks for any feed back.
Last edited by Ciel on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat folks: Let's talk litter boxes.

Post by Ruth B »

I can't comment on self cleaning litter trays as I've never used or even seen one personally, however there are some suggestions that might help.

The first is a change of cat litter. Some cat litters are far better at odour control than others, you might find there is one that is better than what you currently use. A fullers earth based one should be very good although clay based cat litters are rather on the heavy side. Alternatively i have recently changed to a corn kernel based litter which I am also finding is surprisingly good at odour control.

Make sure there is enough litter in the tray for the cats to cover what they produce properly. However if the cats are the type that just leave their offings on top of the litter then that might be half the problem, cat litter only really helps with the smell if things are covered over. In that case I would advise you take a deep breath, grap the scoop and cover it yourself then walk away for 5 minutes, hopefully the odour will have gone and you can clean the offending item out of the tray.

You might also find a proper litter deodourising spray would help. You need to make sure it is one for deodourising not a scented one that just covers the smell (and probably puts the cats off using the tray). A quick spray just after you have cleaned the tray might help keep any new odours down when it is next used.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Ruth's suggestions work for me, except I keep a small bowl of litter handy to just pour over anything left uncovered, rather than use the scoop, as that is even less hands on, and I use a very fine silica litter which dries out poop very quickly
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

A really good dust-free clumping litter, and no lid. The lid keeps the smells in so that when you lift it you get all the stinky dust hit you in the face all at once! It's not just unpleasant smells, there is ammonia in cat urine and that will be stronger if they are a bit dehydrated.
As for your age - are you by any chance a woman around or a little over 40, and noticed other sensitivities recently? Chemical, food, pollen/dust etc?