Diarrhoea in rescue kittens.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jean buchan
Returning Cat Chatter

Diarrhoea in rescue kittens.

Post by jean buchan »

Is it common for rehomed kittens who have spent most of their lives in foster homes, to have diarrhoea? I took home two beautiful female kittens, Millie, 8 months and, Pebbles 10 months, 2 weeks ago. Initially I thought only one had it but I've now managed to confirm it's affecting both. Apart from that they seem fine, only scared of anyone touching them. They are unrelated but became fond of each other while being fostered. Their most recent foster mum has done a brilliant job as they were both semi feral and Pebbles initially couldn't even be fed without protective gloves being worn. They now have the run of our home and love running around and chasing each other about in the evening. I am totally confused as, when we're in bed they come up beside me and can't get close enough. They accept petting and purr a lot, but run off whenever they hear any sound. It's difficult to tell about the eating as it appears that Millie is a bit greedy, but the food is being eaten. I've boiled chicken and rice and mashed it up in some of the cooking liquid, and it is going down well. I have tried to lift Millie twice but had a major job catching her to take her to the vet and we both ended up stressed. She got antibiotics and another injection to calm her and we were sent off with some medicine. This didn't make any difference and we've now got some sachets to add to their food. I wouldn't even try to lift Pebbles at this stage, but that's fine. I can wait for her permission. I just would like to see the loose bowels ended. Apart from little Misty, who lived with us for 4 months, and now sits on the sideboard in her little urn, I have no experience with cats since I was a youngster. Any advice will be welcome.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Diarrhoea in rescue kittens.

Post by booktigger »

I'd ask the fosterer what worming regime was used, guardia is the most common reason, which normally responds to a 5 day course of panacur liquid. Have you kept their diet similar to what they were on at the fosterers?
jean buchan
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jean buchan »

I started them on exactly the same as the foster carer gave them, which was half a pouch of wet food morning and night along with a bowl of dry, then tried just dry food. Then the vet gave me a tube of medpac which made no difference. Then the foster carer said if I tried boiled chicken and rice with some of the liquid. Then the vet gave me sachets to mix in their food. Every second day it seems to get a bit better then the next, I come down in the morning and both trays are full. A bit of missing the edge as well, but always beside the litter trays. The poor lambs are trying their best. I came down this morning at 5.30 and cleaned both trays and as soon as I was done, Millie was trying to go again but she had nothing more to give. It will be so difficult to take them both to the vet, but I suppose that's my next move. Everything else about them is so good and they're even learning how to play. I have seen some information on various sites about that worm you mentioned and I'll be sure to speak to the vet about it.
jean buchan
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jean buchan »

booktigger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:51 pm I'd ask the fosterer what worming regime was used, guardia is the most common reason, which normally responds to a 5 day course of panacur liquid. Have you kept their diet similar to what they were on at the fosterers?
I managed to get Millie to the vet and he gave me Panacur crystals for 2 days along with Royal Canin veterinary diet for sensitivity control. He advised me to feed both cats this diet. Then he advised me to carry on the treatment for another 2 days. At times I have thought it is helping, but it is only very temporary. I've tried different food, including boiling chicken and rice but it seems like every second day the diarrhoea gets worse again. I got a Feliway plug in yesterday and this morning one of the cats had left an offering beside where it is plugged in (diarrhoea of course). I bought a large litter tray with a hood, and it is being used along with another without a hood, so that doesn't seem to affect anything. I have thought of keeping them both on the Royal Canin vet diet permanently but this will be expensive. I'm at my wits end! They are both still so frightened but at night they change into different cats. They sleep beside me and accept all the fondling I want to give them. Could this be just a sign of insecurity?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Prolonged diarrhoea in cats and especially kittens is dangerousand needs to be treated. The most immediate danger is dehydration. Also they can't absorb nutrients from their food properly if it's passing through so quickly. It is definitely not normal in any cat and especially not kittens.

Pinch the skin on the scruff of the neck and let it go, it should spring straight back into shape. Any delay is a sure sign of dehydration. Tempt them to drink with anything you can - the water from canned tuna in spring water (absolutely not brine) or water you have boiled chicken or vegetables in. And the vet should consider a vitamin B injection, and can give fluids by subcutaneous injection as well if needed.

I have an older cat who suffers with it every now and again, I never let him go more than 48 hours before making an appointment, though he suffers with it regularly enough that I'm considering giving him vitamin B as a supplement.
jean buchan
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jean buchan »

We seem to have tried most things. The cats have a fountain, so fresh water is available all day. I do wonder if I'm over feeding them. Will have to go back to the vet again and seek more advice.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Cobalaplex, that's the vitamin B supplement my vet suggested. Have they been given a vitamin B injection? Any antibiotics? Also have you changed their food again every time they get bad tummies? Because switching food immediately ike that can upset some kitty tummies.

Having water available isn't always enough especially with long-term tummy upsets. Cats have a low thirst drive and kittens can get into problems surprisingly quickly. I would really be leaning on the vet for some answers, this is not normal at all.
jean buchan
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jean buchan »

So sorry for taking so long in responding. Millie was given a course of antibiotics and if this didn't help the vet was going to get a sample of her poo examined. He started them on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Sensitivity Control and that has done the trick. I now buy it online as the vet charges more. I had visitors for lunch last week and somehow the cats got in amongst the (covered) leftovers. Diarrhoea back with a vengeance but two days back on the vet diet and they are now right as rain. I think, because they were both semi feral kittens, that they just eat whenever they get the chance and I was definitely giving them too much. They don't appear to have a stop button when it comes to eating. I'm hoping that over time this will stop. Otherwise they are the most lovely natured cats. I've had them for nearly 7 weeks now but I still haven't been able to hold Pebbles and Millie isn't keen either. They'll be due their yearly jag shortly and how on earth I'm going to get Pebbles in her box, I don't know. She still hides away whenever there is anyone else in the house.