Two Vet visits and three enemas later

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Boombb
New Cat Chatter

Two Vet visits and three enemas later

Post by Boombb »

We took my cat to the vet twice in the last two days and she has had three enemas and a set of xrays taken. She has passed some decent size clumps but the last one was at 3am this morning (its now 5PM) We don't have enough money to do anything other than another enema and she refuses to eat wet or dry food. I'm at a loss for what to do, we dont think a fourth enema is going to help and we again don't have enough for anything else at another vet visit.
We got special food for her and everything
Any advice? Please help :(
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Two Vet visits and three enemas later

Post by Lilith »

Well, if she's been passing decent sized clumps, that's a start. And recently too.

But I can relate to your anxiety, having one constipated cat myself -

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7801

These are our expurriences ... yes, holy s*it!

I can definitely recommend lactulose, even if it doesn't have an immediate effect ... as Mouse and I found out. It's available from Amazon, no script needed. Mouse takes it happily in Lick e lix or soup. You CAN syringe it into the cat but I can promise you'll both end up wearing more of the stuff than goes into the cat.

How old is your little guy? Many cats, as they age, lose muscle tone round the anus, and it gets harder and harder (yes, the brown stuff as well) to eject the stool ... bleaaagh.

I wouldn't be too worried if she's passed a motion today - I have a cat of 7 who passes a great healthy stool (The Pile) every couple of days. Mouse doesn't pass much at all ... but she's bright and hungry and she's going to surprise me again. But I would be worried about your girl's lack of appetite, which (worst case scenario) could indicate some underlying problem, of which the constipation could be a symptom, and frankly I'd have her back to the vet, truly, despite finances, not for another enema, but she may be dehydrated, which is a crisis situation - or ring your vet and ask for advice on how to deal with dehydration (home remedy is saline-glucose - teaspoonful of salt dissolved in pint of water with tsp glucose or honey and gently syringed into cat - but there are more sophisticated and efficient ways of restoring electrolytes - truly I would consult your vet - many vets will let clients pay by instalments or even just give advice over the phone.)

Hope others come by with more advice but hope this helps for now - please keep in touch and good luck and fusses to your little girl!