Cat covers litter tray with newspaper

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Andante
New Cat Chatter

Cat covers litter tray with newspaper

Post by Andante »

After our cat has used her litter tray we often find she has torn shreds off the newspaper that we have under and around the tray, and has placed them on top of the litter. On one occasion she had put an entire sheet covering the tray. We were so curious that we put a wildlife camera there, and found that about 5 minutes after using the litter tray she returned and used her fore-paws to do this.

Our previous cat did it occasionally, but otherwise we've never heard of it, and we've had many cats over the years. Has anyone else come across this?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat covers litter tray with newspaper

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Heck yes - our trays are near the cellar door with its draught excluder, and my youngest cat often hauls in another 'sausage' ... They get that set on tidying up, they'll yank in everything but the kitchen sink. Their arms must be about 3' long!

Shredded newspaper's irritating I know - it's more expensive but perhaps you could use a puppy pad instead ... but ... a dedicated tidier-upper will find a way ... it will find a way ... :lol:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds to me like the tray might not be big enough. I've never put newspaper down, I have the opposite problem of my boy emptying the tray to make my whole bathroom into a big sandpit. But I have observed cats especially if they have an upset tummy to scratch around the tray trying to get it buried deeper, to cover the smell.
Andante
New Cat Chatter

Post by Andante »

Thanks Lilith and Mollycat,

Good point about maybe needing a bigger tray. I did try making the litter deeper, but she still seems to feel the need to use the newspaper.

Anyway, it's not at all a problem - in fact we're rather impressed by her fastidiousness and dexterity! I was just surprised as I hadn't seen it before.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Perhaps leave her some sheets beside the tray so she can cover it neatly without too much shredding? Pippin will tidy up after the dogs outside, covering their pee whenever he can - on the other hand, Tilly, AKA Empress of the Known Universe and Benign Ruler of All She Surveys, leaves her poo in the highest, most open spot she can find in the gardens, to ensure everyone knows just who this place belongs to!