Denzel burnt his foot on the stove

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Denzel burnt his foot on the stove

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

Some may remember me asking about protecting Denzel from the hot stove when he went to stay with my mother in law.

He was there for a whole week whilst I was on holiday no problems. We'd been back for an hour on Saturday and take a pan off the stove and he jumped up in a split second. Grr.

He was on and off it very quickly and we phoned his vet who said if he's not in visible pain and looks OK we don't need to see him.

Denzel seemed fine so booked a provisional appointment on Sunday just in case.

By this morning he was behaving his normal self as if it never happened. However we're back home and he jumped off the counter and opened the wound (scab) he's not really blistered just a bit scabby and singed fur.

Is there anything I can/should do? I think landing has made it a bit sore. I have some tea tree cream for animals would this help or best to keep it clean and leave alone.

Hes still walking on it and not crying.

We will of course whisk him off to the vet if it gets sore or infected.

Can't believe it happened in a split second.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Denzel burnt his foot on the stove

Post by Jacks »

Oh poor Denzel and poor you! Little monkey - I wonder what the fascination is! I would get it checked out to be honest, and at the very least phone the vet. It sounds like it is healing and the tea tree will be good, but it's hard to stop a cat licking their paws and I suspect that cat's pads are rather like dogs - and they can actually take a time to heal. My daughter's dog cut his paw whilst out for a walk and had to wear a bandage for a while (a paw sock) which he actually tolerated well. It's possible Denzel might need something similar. I hope not, AND that he's learned his lesson at last!!!

Fusses to the lovely boy.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Jacks wrote:Oh poor Denzel and poor you! Little monkey - I wonder what the fascination is! I would get it checked out to be honest, and at the very least phone the vet. It sounds like it is healing and the tea tree will be good, but it's hard to stop a cat licking their paws and I suspect that cat's pads are rather like dogs - and they can actually take a time to heal. My daughter's dog cut his paw whilst out for a walk and had to wear a bandage for a while (a paw sock) which he actually tolerated well. It's possible Denzel might need something similar. I hope not, AND that he's learned his lesson at last!!!

Fusses to the lovely boy.

We rang his vet straight away about the burn but they said if he wasn't in pain and didnt look sore then he didn't need to go in. Up until last night he'd been running about like his normal self, then he jumped down off the fridge and where the skin had gone taught from the burn is split and now I can see he's walking on it but not much weight.

I think i'm going to call his vets again later today if I see no improvement when I see him at lunch.

You would have thought it would teach him a lesson but it hasn't. He still gets up on the work top, luckily at home we have gas so its not not and plus because of the design he doesn't walk on it. unlike the flat glass electric one at my mother in laws.

Feel bad for him, he hated travelling in the car home, and obviously thought we'd abandoned him whilst on holiday he won't leave my side or shoulder.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

That Denzel ey! A tip for you....boil hot water, let it cool abit and then with some cotton wall or balls, dip it into the water and softly rub paw. The boiled water will stop infection.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

thanks Diane. it needs cleaning as he uses his litter box which i'm also keeping extra clean.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Hows the paw?
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cleaner! He seems on and off about it. Running about one minute then giving me the i need treats sad face.

He's not blistered just a bit singed I think. He's been sat on my lap and I can feel the pressure of both his feet on my leg so he's not afraid to us it.

Poor sausage has been a bit stressed "abandoned" for week then burnt foot followed by a car journey home.

He's so worried that we'll leave him again we can't shut any does other wise he cries.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Poor guy! At least the paw isn't hurting him, you are right perhaps just burnt tad of the fur.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

I must apologise Diana I replied to you on my mobile before and just realised now that I called you Diane.

he's loving all the extra attention and fusses. Every time he gets up high we've been lifting him down so he doesn't aggravate it.

He's been very good and when I pick him up and roll him on his back to check his paw he just lets me see it, he even let me touch it last night, so it must be healing already.

Thanks for the fusses.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Dont worry its ok lol.

Atm I'm doing same as you, my Shelly is having issues with her hip and we are having to pick her up and down when she needs to get somewhere. Extra love for Denzel and Shelly.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Glad your boy is doing okay. Fusses to him. He has had some adventures recently hasn't he!
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Aww Bless her, fusses to Shelly.

Tell me about it Sarah, he's really testing my nerves atm. I'm on the verge of wrapping him in bubble wrap! But not sure he'd be keen.