recurrence of stones?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
pelham
New Cat Chatter

recurrence of stones?

Post by pelham »

My 6 year old long hair female Grizzy recovered beautifully from surgery to remove two large bladder stones which had almost killed her in November. Suddenly, this week---four months after recovery, she started turning down her special diet cat food (formulated for stone sufferers) and after about four days went into her hidey hole cat box outside (she sleeps inside). When I went to remove her last night, she was in pain in her rear quarters and hissed when I took her out and into our house. I called the emergency clinic which had performed the surgery and prepared to take Grizzy on the hour long ride to the clinic. However, before I could put her in her box, she developed a complete recovery which by this morning, showed up with a renewed appetite and happy disposition. I called the clinic to alert them that I would pack her up to go again if things changed. Could this have been another small stone causing this? Mitigating issues are that she has the stomach disorder when she vomits, especially after eating too fast. Also, we introduced a new rescue kitty to the household (four cats and three outside dogs!) about two months ago and the little one, barely 5 months old, has been in heat twice (scheduled for spay surgery this coming week). Only the resident inside-outside tom (fixed) has refused to warm up to Grizzy and the new Polka Dot, but we keep him and his sister together in a separate side of the house to avoid issues. So, could this short (I hope) set-back and then recovery signal other small stones may be present, or shall I just look at this as an anomaly, related to something she ate, or a distress reaction to another cat?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: recurrence of stones?

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome ... and poor Grizzy.

I'm glad she's feeling better now, but althout I've no experience of feline bladder stones, I did have experience of bladder gravel in a dog; despite sticking to the prescribed diet/meds, I'm afraid they did recur, so it might be a good idea to get Grizzy checked out again, just to put your mind at rest - I do hope it isn't the stones this time and that it was a temporary setback - good luck!