Bone broth with onions

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ctundra
New Cat Chatter

Bone broth with onions

Post by Ctundra »

Hi. In the past few months I started feeding Pacific brand organic bone broth to BearBear. His weight had been declining last year, despite a healthy checkup and dental. He will be 18 soon and loves the broth. This week I realized it has onions as one of the ingredients. I have seen no adverse affects from him eating the broth, but now worry it might harm him. Your thoughts and experience are much appreciated. Carole
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Bone broth with onions

Post by fjm »

I would avoid anything with onions in - I believe the effects on red blood cells can be cumulative, so even a small amount could be dangerous over time. I doubt the amount in the stock will have harmed him, but it is better to be safe than sorry. It is very easy to make your own stock and freeze it, plus he would probably enjoy the meat you use to make it.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Agreed I would quit the broth ... and make your own. It's really simple to make and you know exactly what goes into it.
Ctundra
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ctundra »

Hi. Thank you for your responses. We're going to stop the broth and make our own. That's the best alternative, I believe. I just hope he'll accept it.