Rapid change in cat behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kmantle17
New Cat Chatter

Rapid change in cat behaviour

Post by kmantle17 »

Hi,

I am not a cat owner, but my neighbour's cat often pops into my house. The other night while getting a drink I noticed the cat was still outside around 3 am, I opened the door and offered her some water. I fully intended to let her stay the right but remember some owners can be funny about people taking in their cats, fair enough. So the cat had to go back outside. At this point, her behaviour changed and she suddenly became very aggressive swiping at me and trying to bite me. In her fury, she got her claws stuck in my curtain, and as I proceeded to help free her, she continued to attack.

Is there any reason for this change in behaviour? Should I be worried, this came about due to me getting her to leave.

Thanks
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rapid change in cat behaviour

Post by Mollycat »

I've had my own loving cats scratch, hiss, bite or even growl at me if I try to make them do something they don't want to do, like bring them in from a room where the alarm is set for the night. Cats find a way of communicating with their human family, so if it's normal for this cat to have to make its feelings known in this way, or if it feels that strongly about it, that's what it will do to tell you it really does not want to go back outside. Not really anything to worry about in one incident because the cause is clear.

However, it could be an indicator either that she can be a bit grumpy, or that she doesn't have a great relationship with her owners and is looking for somewhere nicer where she is understood and not made to sleep outside!

I do not agree with cats being locked out at night or any other time. Cats should have access to their core safe space at all times. I wouldn't go out of my way to make someone e;se's cat come in but if they want to then I let them. I have often (when I've been in between cats) let cats sleep at my house at night, but never feed them. They will go home for breakfast, and just use my house like they would a garden shed or other cosy corner to sleep in, but I am not stealing the cat - and if an owner would like to complain about that then all I have to say is don't lock your cat out!

I would say make a decision whether you want to let this cat sleep at yours, whichever way you decide stick to it ie don't change your mind after letting the cat in, offer a bowl of water but do not offer any food, in other words set the rules and let the cat decide to accept them or not. Hopefully she is only looking for a nice place to sleep.