For those who feed their cats Felix, has anyone noticed that their cats have stopped eating it?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
pringle 22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: For those who feed their cats Felix, has anyone noticed that their cats have stopped eating it?

Post by pringle 22 »

I have been wondering for a few weeks now why my two cats have taken one mouth full of this new As Good as it looks NO Colorants written on top of the box normally they really enjoy Felix with the old ingredients as both of them have the same reaction to the pouches I have a cupboard full of all different varieties and have the same reaction with each one, it has to be something that has been put in or taken out all I seem to be doing is just scraping the food out after one mouth full , buying it to throw away

I have been buying Felix for a long time with out any problems but I will now have to change to a different brand and hopefully my cats will be able to enjoy their food again I have just emailed Purina and asked what has happened to this AS Good AS IT Looks
pringle 22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: For those who feed their cats Felix, has anyone noticed that their cats have stopped eating it?

Post by pringle 22 »

On a update on Felix cat food as to why so many cats have suddenly stopped eating Felix AS Good AS IT LOOKS NO Colourants printed on the front of the box I wrote to Purina with my complaint about my two cats lack of interest in this food never had any problems before with Felix i am now just throwing it away after they have had two mouth fulls never happened before, I also i have been made aware that other cats owner's are experiencing the same problems maybe it could be the new ingredients that has been add ??

Just had a reply back from Purina that my comments will be passed on to their Felix Brand Team ??
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Good on you for taking it up.

Must admit any time my cats have gone off a food I have just changed to something else.

The importance of keeping cats as flexible as possible about their food.
Catszaffy278
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catszaffy278 »

Hi cat lovers. I’ve had lots of wonderful rescue cats for many many years and all of them brought up on Felix in jelly. All of a sudden last year the cats wouldn’t eat any of the Felix pouches and when you look at the actual contents they’re insipid and do not look appetising and have drastically changed in appearance too! They’ve definitely done something to them as cats don’t all suddenly go off the same brand, my other cat eats gourmet a la carte and Felix but now won’t touch the Felix. Thanks for posting your comments as I too was starting to wonder if anyone else had noticed. I think it’s really important that the manufacturers hear from as many cat owners as possible on this issue otherwise they will take the stance that’s it’s only one person who is making these comments. My cats hate whiskas and other brands too and now with this issue with Felix it’s very concerning. I’m also worried that they may have started using inferior ingredients due to the pandemic in the hope no one notices! Please if you know other cat owners saying the same please start contacting the manufacturers as you may be trying to feed your cats a not so nice ingredient!!!!
Hobessica
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hobessica »

Hi everyone, in the last 5/6 months some of my cats (I have 5) started being sick or had diarrhoea after eating the new version of Felix as good as it looks then they just plain refused it. I didn’t click on at first and just thought it was the heat or they had a bit of a sensitive tummy. I then met someone who told me his cat had suddenly passed away at the age of 3 and he had been looking in to what may have caused it. He then told me all the problems he had seen and heard about Felix and I decided to look into it too. (May I add I am in no way blaming Purina for his cats death) the reviews on multiple sites was very worrying. 3 weeks ago we decided to open a Facebook page to see if any other cat owners were having problems and the response has been huge. We are now at nearly 3k members with a large majority who’s cats have been affected. We are trying to find as much information as we can as Purina are denying any changes have been made to the recipe apart from the removal of colourants which they claim will not change the taste/smell or texture of the food so this doesn’t make sense. If anyone would like to follow the page for more updates please search Cats recently affected by Felix food on Facebook. We would appreciate any information you could give us in regards to the problems you are having. We have a poll on the announcements page that you can fill in stating the effects the food has had on your cats. Any support will be greatly appreciated.
Please be aware at this worrying time we do not believe it is anything to do with the Pancytopenia outbreak, we believe it to be a change in the recipe.

Kind regards
Leanne
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Strange, isn't it, this was first posted over two years ago and yet there are still cats two years later suddenly refusing to eat the "new" formula that is nowhere near new any more.

Cats suddenly refuse the same food they've been given for years, for a reason or none, their system no longer tolerates it, they just want a change, or they are a bit off colour one day and won't eat it. Maybe some batches are different, maybe the recipe gets changed sometimes, and some cats react badly or go off it.

But I'm struggling to believe that whatever was originally noticed two years ago is still being newly discovered. Surely all suppliers must be on the same year of production by now?

Edit - 4 years ago see my next post and link
Last edited by Mollycat on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobessica
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hobessica »

I think this is a new problem which has occurred after they removed the colourants around December 2020. If you look on the page you will see how many cats this change is affecting and more heartbreaking stories are being told. When we opened the page we never expected it to get this big. Now the FSA and trading standards are looking into it too and some vets have reported more cats coming in with sickness and diarrhoea with no known cause until now so they are interest and monitoring what is going on. This is definitely something more than fussy cats with upset tummies.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

If it's a new problem maybe a new topic? Otherwise it could be confusing.

This might be of interest to you, it's more recent (though still long before December 2020) and more detailed about poorly cats, though a quick internet search reveals periodic problems with Felix making cats ill every couple of years since 2014. I can't find anything at all to say vets are concerned or looking into it viewtopic.php?t=8696

Another anecdotal piece that might be of interest https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... osh-brands note the comments from Whiskas at the bottom.

Edit - I knew there was an even older version of this same old story here 2017 viewtopic.php?t=6350
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Baggypants »

Hi everyone, I'm an old member of Cat Chat - I haven't been on the forum for ages but I've been having major issues with Felix AGAIL so just thought i'd add my experiences. I actually live in Portugal and order my cat food from Zooplus. I think it comes from Germany and so far it doesn't say the recipe has been changed or any new packaging however my four cats have been struggling with it for a while.
My cats have been eating this food for around 13 years - it's all they've ever had (in addition to a good quality dried food) so getting them to accept other foods is really, really difficult! I've actually caved in though and just ordered a big batch of various types of Catessy (grain free) from Zooplus - fingers crossed they'll try it...
I've got two older cats (Jerry and Elsie) who are vomiting and having runny poo fairly regularly. One of them, Elsie, as soon as she feels off or has runny poo gets really stressed by it and displays as similar to having cystitis (in and out the tray) although it doesn't normally turn urine related but is in fact a gassy tummy from what I can tell. I'm going to have to boil some chicken for her today to try to calm her stomach down.
Some pouches of Felix they'll eat ok but others they really are not keen. Even my mother-in-law's outdoor cat (who eats anything) refused a pouch the other day.
Late last year my 8 month old, Tabitha, was quite poorly - vomiting and diarrhea and lethargic. We worried she'd swallowed something she shouldn't have. Expensive vet tests found nothing but then we noticed the two older cats vomiting intermittently and realised it was due to the Felix. What's really frustrating though is its not every pouch and not always the same flavour - it's like Purina are trying to force our cats to accept the change by sneaking it into all the flavours but not all the time.
I looked at Purina UKs website yesterday and saw their page about recipe change and it seems they know it's causing issues but refuse to accept responsibility. https://www.purina.co.uk/brands/felix/no-added-colours
I'm going to send them an email today of our experiences although I'm expecting them to say there's nothing they can do - and to get expensive (and unecessary) vet tests conducted.
On top of all the other stress we're going through lately this is really the poo-icing we don't need!
cpatz1992
New Cat Chatter

Post by cpatz1992 »

I'm a new member here but have doing some research regarding the Felix AGAIL range following my cat being unwell.

I have two cats; Kevin who is a little piggy when it comes to food and Khaleesi who is the total opposite, she would rather nibble at food all day unlike Kevin who eats as much as he can as fast as he can. I had seen a Facebook group (Cats Recently Affected By Felix Food.) with quite a few people who seemed to be reporting issues so I've been monitoring my cats closely as it seems not all cats are affected. As Khaleesi is fussy but mostly enjoys Felix I was hesitant to change their food without a very good reason.

Thursday last week comes along; Kevin eats his dinner as normal (and finishes off any scraps Khaleesi has left, as always!). Shortly after wails and is sick, then has a very runny poo. Seems okayish after this so we go off to bed. In the morning there are multiple patches of sick and wet patches which I later found out to be the clear liquid he's vomiting when his tummy is empty. He eats some breakfast, is again sick and continues vomiting throughout the day. He is lethargic and doesn't eat or drink at all. Visit the vets and he gets fluid and anti-emetic which stops the sickness but a few hours later he is still wailing in pain so back to the vets at 2am where he's admitted.

He's given fluids, pain relief and more anti-emetic and stays under their supervision until Sunday evening. He is still a bit quiet now he's home but he's not in pain, he's affectionate and most importantly eating like a piggy. He must think it's Christmas as he's having boiled chicken and fish mashed up with water to increase his fluid intake! Living like a King today! :D
pringle 22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pringle 22 »

There is a group called Cats affected by Purina Felix cat food the amount of cats that have and are being made sick by this new Felix cat food the new recipe the one with the green circle on its beyond belief at the present time there are 17.000 people who cats have been affected by this food very sadly some have died and some have had to be put to sleep My cats have been affected one more than the other one had to be taken to the vets the other one was more into dry food than wet but she was affected sadly she got killed at the top of my road by a speeding motorist 5 weeks ago so I had to my other cat to he vets had the runs turned her nose up at all the new Felix food she had never been ill never been to the vets in 7 years apart from her annual check up , on the day I had to take her I had Sandy who had been killed wating to go to the crematorium and the other one waiting to see the vets bad day !!!!! please visit this group 17.000 cat owners cant be wrong
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there two separate things being mixed up here?

One is the dry food from Fold Hills possible contaminated with mycotoxins due to poor storage that may be causing a spike in cases of pancytopenia and all affected foods have been subject to a recall since June.

The other is Felix AGAIL that cats are turning up their noses at due to a recipe change removing all colourants and some say it makes their cats throw up, which Purina's statement says has been investigated and is not believed to be down to their food.

Obviously it doesn't help that the anti-AGAIL group shared the pancytopenia recall, thereby creating confusion, but never mind.

As I pointed out before, it's pretty much standard for the most successful food of the moment to be at the centre of one of these scandals every couple of years. The same claims have been made separately in 2019, 2017, 2014 ... nothing has ever been found to be fact based. If your cat doesn't like Felix any more, feed it something else and get on with your life.

Some cats will turn up their noses at a change as minor as removing a colourant and even reject it, while others take changes in their stride especially if they have been brought up on variety and change.
pringle 22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pringle 22 »

Yes you are certainty right the one that Hill recalled was the cause of many cats developing pancytopenia and unfortunaly many cats died with this
Purina the new Felix is the concern of 17.000 owners who have had 1 / 2 cats being made ill with this new food mine included who for 7 years happily ate Felix old one , after a few days of this new one both turned there nose up at the new Felix one went on to eat dry food and the other became ill which was a vets visit , and yes you are right we would all love to be able to get on with our lives once we can get our cats back to health after being made ill , sadly many cats have not made it when you see pouches of this new food with maggots on the front and inside boxes well maybe draw your own conclusion 17. 000 cats owners through out the country have including countries aboard will be more than happy to carry on with lives once there cats are fully back to health
Hobessica
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hobessica »

Mollycat wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:21 pm Strange, isn't it, this was first posted over two years ago and yet there are still cats two years later suddenly refusing to eat the "new" formula that is nowhere near new any more.

Cats suddenly refuse the same food they've been given for years, for a reason or none, their system no longer tolerates it, they just want a change, or they are a bit off colour one day and won't eat it. Maybe some batches are different, maybe the recipe gets changed sometimes, and some cats react badly or go off it.

But I'm struggling to believe that whatever was originally noticed two years ago is still being newly discovered. Surely all suppliers must be on the same year of production by now?

Edit - 4 years ago see my next post and link

Hi Mollycat, I am an admin on the cats recently affected by Felix page.
I would just like to point out that whenever we shared anything about the Pancytopenia issue it was always highlighted that we believed it was a separate issue to Felix, the reasons for us sharing the information was people often feed wet food with dried food and we didn’t want people who may not have been aware of the Pancytopenia problem, missing important information especially if there was a chance of them feeding one of the recalled foods with Felix.
Now that the recalled food has been said it wasn’t the problem everyone is back to square one with not knowing what’s going on with the foods we are feeding our cats. Do you know there are some people who’s cats were diagnosed with Pancytopenia who’s only ate Felix and none of the recalled brands?
Purina have been changing the recipe here and there for a few years but the recent change has caused the biggest problems.
We have over 18.5k members now with the majority of people who’s cats have been poorly from Felix after eating it for many years, most cats health has massively improved once Felix has been removed from their diet. What does that tell you? This is not just a few people who cats may have a sensitive stomach or their cats are being fussy due to a new recipe, it is a huge problem. All we are trying to find out is, what has changed to make this amount of cats become ill and for Purina to take the issue seriously. Honestly some people can not do right for being wrong in other peoples eyes!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I sincerely hope you get to the bottom of it and this stops flaring up every couple of years.
pringle 22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pringle 22 »

Fully agree with you all cat lovers want and are due an explanation from Purina 18.000 cat owners are not wrong
hollybella
New Cat Chatter

Post by hollybella »

We need to do something about this, our cats have eaten felix for 12 years since the breeders we bought them from advised.
The new food has made both our cats ill, causing them to throw up and lose weight and now they will not go near it.
We have so far been unable to get them to eat other food.
If we starve them enough they will go and nibble and have small amount but leave 3/4 of the food.
Even we notice the terrible smell.
How can they suddenly decide to switch to new branding and recipes without thought for existing customers ?
This company needs to be sued.
A distraught and stressed cat owner.
hollybella
New Cat Chatter

Post by hollybella »

pringle 22 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:26 am There is a group called Cats affected by Purina Felix cat food the amount of cats that have and are being made sick by this new Felix cat food the new recipe the one with the green circle on its beyond belief at the present time there are 17.000 people who cats have been affected by this food very sadly some have died and some have had to be put to sleep My cats have been affected one more than the other one had to be taken to the vets the other one was more into dry food than wet but she was affected sadly she got killed at the top of my road by a speeding motorist 5 weeks ago so I had to my other cat to he vets had the runs turned her nose up at all the new Felix food she had never been ill never been to the vets in 7 years apart from her annual check up , on the day I had to take her I had Sandy who had been killed wating to go to the crematorium and the other one waiting to see the vets bad day !!!!! please visit this group 17.000 cat owners cant be wrong
Real sorry to hear this. Just to say also In agreement with you with regards the Felix food our cats suffering the exact same ;-(
Last edited by hollybella on Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kypfer
New Cat Chatter

Post by kypfer »

My little 15 year-old has always been a fussy eater, only really being happy with Felix Fish Selection in Jelly.
Back in the spring we noticed a change in the packaging. The boxes were very similar, except for a few address details, but the pouches inside had round corners instead of square corners. The contents of the pouches looked particularly unappetizing, being sort of "grey" and slimy, and the cat just wouldn't touch them!
For the next few weeks we had a struggle to find food she'd eat, she lost weight and ended up with a £250 bill from the vets for tests and such to try to get to the bottom of it all.
Then the new "No Colourants" packaging appeared, with square-cornered pouches and we were back to "normal".
I spoke to the Purina "Helpline" and they assured me that despite the packaging clearly stating "No Colourants" that the contents were re-packaged old stock and when this was all gone the "real" no colourants product would be all that was available.
Now the round-cornered pouches are back and there's one unhappy cat curled up in her igloo and a bag of unwanted cat food that'll go to some charity.
Has anyone else noticed this difference in the packaging? At first, I wondered if there was some counterfeit product around, now I'm not so sure.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Yes, two of my cats don't like the new original Felix, luckily the stock I'm getting from Amazon is the old style, I buy the mixed variety, but it might be worth trying their fish selection in the hope it is the same?
pringle 22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pringle 22 »

On the Facebook page Cats affected by Felix Purina cat food new recipe there now are 23.000 cats owners who have had cat/ cats made ill by the new recipe very very sadly many have had to have their fur babies put to sleep older cats younger cats and kittens who have had their life cut short
My two cats were affected by this food ,one and ended up at the vets, many people including me have wrote to Purina and all got the standed reply back there is nothing wrong with the food The complaints about this new recipe is counrty wide and now been reports world wide are suffering with the same symptoms can thousand of cat owners who have never had any contact with each other including overseas be wrong The local rescue centre have asked for the the new Felix recipe not to be given to them
Ladydi
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ladydi »

Hi, I have 3 cats and they all use to eat Felix as good as it gets sachets in all flavours, when suddenly they refused to eat it. I smelt the meat that I’d tipped into the bowl and thought it smelt rancid, so I tried a different flavour of the same box and that smelt the same, so I took it back to the shop and they replaced the box. The same thing happened with that lot too. I even got my mum to smell it and she thought it smelt funny too. I then went to a different shop and bought a different flavour combo, but the same thing happened again. Each cat refused to eat any of it. I have spent a small fortune buying and trying from a range of shops with no success. There has to be a reason for this as 3 cats can’t just go off it after being on it for years. What do you think?
Paul407
New Cat Chatter

Post by Paul407 »

Our cat has had Felix fish pouches for years. The latest box of 120 has been ignored or she just had a mouthful. There is something wrong. Purina have said that nothing has changed. I believe that they have produced a bad batch but will not admit it or withdraw the product until it is investigated. She has been sick several times. She is now on a different brand and eating well. The Felix will be thrown away and my advice would be to dispose of any Felix you have and change brands.
Spud
New Cat Chatter

Post by Spud »

Answer to your question, there is a form of furniture polish which is added to ordinary everyday human food it is said to make it last longer and brings out the flavour however it is poisonous, now it is being added to cat and dog food their digestive system is far more susceptible to these poisons and causes far greater problems for their little bodies to handle, in human beings this can cause severe acid regurgitation stomach cramps and a plethora of other problems, if you suffer from any of these symptoms after Chinese there is no surprise as it is packed with this furniture polish chemical so imagine what it does to the digestive system of a little cat or dog. It is no longer as good as it gets it is now as bad as it could ever be.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Spud wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 pm Answer to your question, there is a form of furniture polish which is added to ordinary everyday human food it is said to make it last longer and brings out the flavour however it is poisonous, now it is being added to cat and dog food their digestive system is far more susceptible to these poisons and causes far greater problems for their little bodies to handle, in human beings this can cause severe acid regurgitation stomach cramps and a plethora of other problems, if you suffer from any of these symptoms after Chinese there is no surprise as it is packed with this furniture polish chemical so imagine what it does to the digestive system of a little cat or dog. It is no longer as good as it gets it is now as bad as it could ever be.
Can you share your source and evidence for this please? And name the specific chemical - manufacturers don't walk around the factory spraying Pledge into the food (human or animal) so if it's a chemical that goes into both furniture polish and food, please tell us which one and how you know about it.
Wizzadora
New Cat Chatter

Post by Wizzadora »

Thank god I found this thread! I was going crazy! My cats only ate Felix AGAIL and now they won't touch it. Especially my female cat she won't touch anything else apart from Gourmet Melting Heart.

I emailed Purina too but I highly doubt they'll do anything about it.
Mags
New Cat Chatter

Post by Mags »

I’ve noticed that my cat has started turning her nose up at Felix AGAIL. She normally has the packs with ham and lamb but can’t seem to get that as much and she doesn’t like the other flavours. At first I thought it was just a taste thing but now I’m curious. Even when she’s starving she won’t eat what I give her. The pack we have now is chicken, tuna, salmon and beef. She’s not interested. It costs so much , it’s annoying. As animal owners how are we to know if there is something wrong with a product??.
Bryn
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bryn »

Disabled and have for many years cared for many dogs n cats all rescues or abandoned by neighbours who move in move away under CURO fraud on my area which remains condemend but forced all long term out replacing with naer-dso-well on short term leases...means lot of mean people who mistreat and abandon animals..... I've been feeding all four cats three mine one ferral that visits nightly for care strokes kisses n food... took many months to find a brand they all liked and felix good as it lloks was the only one theyd touch... simply cannot afford the extremem prices when I sought grain and germ free etc as I do for my dogs (or did). But last order had bad seals to pouches so obxes had leaked all jelly juice soaking box but it was intact not mishandled or dropped...cleaned all under tap noticed about 8 sachets werent actually sealed down back seam..... company repolaced so that order went to utility cool room storage with exisitng STOCK to use first..... ok so few weeks later I got through the boxes up to the delivery in question.... but up[on pulling boxes forward... millions and I mean MILLIONS of tiny white maggots EVERYWHERE... had to gut the utility room to bare walls n remove tumble drier fridge cabinets had to shove miele washing machine to one end of 6ft sq room too havy to move (disabled) took about four days to clear clean disinfect ....but all that delivery...the last delivery I took even the many boxes in perfect condition etc opened as usual put food out as usual but cats wouldn't touch it... witihn mere hours the stench that comes from it is quite rancid so I can mosr assuredly state with absolute clarity that FELIX is quite TOXIC for my four cats let alone my sense of smell. I've been trying chicken breast boiled rice anything but depserate to find a food stuff thats not five times the price for grain free...and to be honest feel quite shamed I even used felix now I know its only 4% or less actual meat content... a well cared for dog will eat a sunday roast and leap with joy...so lets assume a dog can even be a veggysaurus...but CATS are meatysaurusses lol... less than 4% and at the costs they charge.... shameful! ANY info or foodstufs you think I may try would be appreciated ...tried tinned tried lidles tried many cheaper brands ....but I use Zooplus excellent premium service but their grain and germy free is five times the price and I'm almost out of all foods for my beloved puddies.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The 4% meat refers to the flavour meat, not the total meat content which is much higher. The composition figures are more important than the ingredient list anyway if you're trying to figure out a reasonable food at a reasonable price. It's important to understand that labelling is often not what it means to us, for example cereals as an ingredient does not mean a packet of breakfast cereal added to the mix. If it's grain-free it almost certainly has potato or sweet potato instead.

Also the cat has been living with us for 9000 years in which time it has adapted to a new diet that includes cooked food and more carbs than what its wild ancestors ate, starting with early table scraps and on through to modern high tech extracts and additives.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Bryn, if you are feeding raw or home cooked it is important to get the balance of nutrients right. I fed my cats in this way for many years, basing their diet on a complete pet mince (80% muscle, 10% ground bone, 10% offal) such as those from Durham Animal Feeds. (I do recommend DAF if you are in the UK - I have never had any problems with quality, unlike some other suppliers, and they deliver across most of the country.) Chicken and rice is OK in the very short term, but chicken breast is low in taurine and possibly fat, and the mixture does not include essentials such as calcium and may be much higher in carbohydrate than your cats need. Grains such as wheat are actually far more nutritious than polished rice.

As Mollycat says, don't be fooled into thinking "grain free" in commercial foods means the carbs have been replaced by protein - they are far more likely to be replaced by other cheap fillers. Dog owners are being warned off grain free foods, as there is a correlation between the high levels of legumes they contain to boost protein levels and cardiac disease in dogs