For those who feed their cats Felix, has anyone noticed that their cats have stopped eating it?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: For those who feed their cats Felix, has anyone noticed that their cats have stopped eating it?

Post by Mollycat »

fjm wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:32 am As Mollycat says, don't be fooled into thinking "grain free" in commercial foods means the carbs have been replaced by protein - they are far more likely to be replaced by other cheap fillers. Dog owners are being warned off grain free foods, as there is a correlation between the high levels of legumes they contain to boost protein levels and cardiac disease in dogs
I didn't know about the cardiac thing but I do know my dog does not do well on grain free and we feed him a commercial canned food but always buy the wholegrain option. Without the icky details he is healthy on that and not on the grain-free, his system all works and he has plenty of energy.

Read an interesting article only yesterday about the nutritional purpose of some of these ingredients that have no place in a natural diet and although I don't pretend they are the best it does at least mean I feel confident not guilty giving adapted condition diets like renal formula foods.
Emily1909
New Cat Chatter

Re: For those who feed their cats Felix, has anyone noticed that their cats have stopped eating it?

Post by Emily1909 »

I'm so glad I found this. My cat is a year old and the past few week she has been struggling to wee. I've had her to vets and she's on antibiotics for her kidneys. She has this food. Stopping immediately.
Beaubeau
New Cat Chatter

Post by Beaubeau »

Hi all new to the group.
I recently changed wee Beau Beau's food from Whiskas to Felix a few weeks ago. He loved it at first but then over a day or two later went off it and then he became sick for a couple of days and was vomiting. He wasn't bringing anything up just phlegm or stomach juices. We had to take him to the vet because he's an older boy and was dehydrated and also his liver functioning was out of whack because he hadn't eaten for 2 days. He's doing ok now but struggling to get him to eat. I've tried Felix again but think he associates it with being sick and think he's also fed up with whiskas. So been giving him dry food. He has been eating the whiskas some of the time but I'll need to try a new one I think. He's 18 years old. Any recommendations of a good brand of food?

Franny
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I've found Bozita goes down well with older cats with dodgy digestions - the cartons contain a lot of jelly, and soft easily swallowed meaty pieces

Available from Zooplus
DMc+
New Cat Chatter

Post by DMc+ »

My 2 cats (18 & 14) have been eating Felix As Good As It Looks for years. In the past months I noticed a change in their eating and toilet habits but I put it down to them getting older then I took a closer look at the food, white specks all through it, after complaining I was told this was completely fine just minuscule bone fragments…..WTF Then their toilet habits became overwhelming, I was never sure which cat it was but the diarrhoea and the smell was horrendous and lingered in the house for over an hour with windows open and sprays etc. I seen the media posts about other people having the same experience so contacted purina again, this time I got the ‘generic’ response but that they’d send a prepaid envelope for me to send an unopened sachet. I also included a sample of an open sachet, that was over a week ago and I’ve not had a response. Mean time I changed them back to the original Felix chunks in jelly, ate the lot, normal toilets etc. I couldn’t get that today so I grabbed a 12 box of AGAIL, 3 hours later the smell hit me from the furthest away bedroom I may add, I knew right away,diarrhoea. I’ve just sent them another strongly worded email. This isn’t right, this stuff is making our cats sick and something needs done about it. D
Rupe wilson
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rupe wilson »

Just experienced the above this morning, my cats refusing to eat Felix good as it looks... normally they gulp down a full packet and look for seconds. I hope once they get hungry, they will eat it. I now can't afford to buy other food, as I've just bought 4 boxes of the 44x100 pouches. Anybody have any suggestions or found a way to get the cats to eat it.. It smells the same as the older packs, just looks a lighter in colour.. I don't fancy doing a taste test... although I did lick my fingers by mistake a while back, and it was not unpleasant..