Peeing problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Peeing problems

Post by Topcat10 »

My elderly rescued male cat has recently begun peeing outside his litter box. On carpet, bed ect.
The vet told me some time ago that the poor lad has kidney problems and now has special renal food. Just recently I've been spreading waterproof sheets over the carpets as when I'm not there is don't know where he's doing it. The strange thing is that he continues to use his tray for 'bigger jobs.'
Any suggestions would be appreciated. K. .on behalf of TC.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Peeing problems

Post by Lilith »

Oh poor chap ...

I'm probably not being very helpful here, but I did have a cat with similar problems who would wet himself when waking up. He was only two, poor lad. If I was about I'd watch him and the minute he woke I'd lift him on to the tray - sorry, useless advice if you're not there at the time. It was dead handy if a sample was needed - I'd get some amazed looks as Timus and I came into the surgery with a nice little jar of wee - all I had to do was stick a shallow container beneath him and he'd oblige ...

However, I'm wondering if it's convenient, if your boy has regular sleeping spots, to give him a tray close by, or even a puppy pad to sleep on. He might get the idea and use those instead of getting caught short on the bed or carpet?

Good luck with him and fusses to the poor old guy x
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Peeing problems

Post by Topcat10 »

Thanks for the advice. .will try puppy pads as suggested. Will also invest in a 3rd litter box..