Spayed -- 11 days after

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catherinecat
New Cat Chatter

Spayed -- 11 days after

Post by catherinecat »

Hi all. I had my cat, Catherine (yes, Cathy, Kitty, Cat haha) spayed 11 days ago. the plastic cone distressed her and got her stuck, and she freaked out a lot after, and all the running started to pull at her stitches. The vet gave her the foldable blue one and she tolerated that better, and has been mostly sleeping and cuddling for the last week and a half.

I took the cone off a few days ago briefly to see what she would do and she picked at the scab a lot, so I put it back on. I wanted to know if it's healed enough by now to remove the cone; if she licks and picks, will it come apart or is she ok to poke around at it?

If I take the cone off I want it to be for good... I don't want to cause her another round of distress :(
Thank you!
Attachments
D28EF37D-2ECB-4AC7-AF91-D24CA98CD536.jpeg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Spayed -- 11 days after

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Oh they can be little devils about spaying. I once knew a cat who arrived home bandaged (decades ago) and duly returned for stitches out ... no stitches. She'd sneaked her long Siamese nose under her bandage and removed them herself.

One of mine (also Siamese) blatantly took all but one of her stitches out within 24 hours. Panic! Back to the vet! Who said, don't worry unless it gapes. This again was a long time ago, and he reassured me that they stitched inside (dissolvables) as well as outside. She was fine, the little horror.

Has Catherine (Caterina? Catty? Love the name) had her stitches out yet? Judging by the presence of nipples I take it she's had what they call a midline spay rather than the conventional flank (looks less disfiguring; flanks take ages to grow back in.) The stitches could be irritating her, but also the shaving could; someone on here has a cat who licked rather a lot at the shaved area rather than the stitches. Anyone out there who's done body depilation may know what I mean (and I won't make any crude and vulgar jokes about pussies ... ooops I just did! :oops: )

I'd be inclined to take off the cone under supervision and give her a bit of freedom, but keep a close eye on quite where she's nibbling or grooming and if the wound does gape (though it oughtn't to by now) or looks red/inflamed take her to the vet, but I reckon she's had time to heal.

Good luck with her and apologies for coarse humour and please keep us posted :)
catherinecat
New Cat Chatter

Post by catherinecat »

Thank you! :) Laughing about your sneaky kitties.

They're dissolvable stitches! So no need for removal. I'll take the cone off tomorrow I suppose... 12 days should be plenty. I was concerned bc there's still a little reddish spot at the bottom of the incision but I think it's just the last bit of scab.

The wound looks ok though?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Vets usually have them back after 10 days for a checkup/removal of stitches if needed ... I think she should be fine, even if bristly and itchy. That wound looks fine but of course if any inflammation,soreness, wetness, get her back but I don't think you'll need to.

All good luck to you both :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm surprised you were given a cone with dissolvable stitches, even with normal stitches, she would have only needed a cone for 10 days, so I'd definitely take it off now.
catherinecat
New Cat Chatter

Post by catherinecat »

it's good that I was! she could still have worn it open.

I did take it off this morning, and she went nuts taking a bath and seems perfectly fine otherwise. she was cuddlier with the cone haha. oh well. I'm glad she's free and happy
Attachments
14249607-BB3F-43FE-AAE3-0A209081135A.jpeg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, what a pretty lass - and what a typical 'This has been all your fault and I'm guilting you' glance.

Never mind, she'll never have to go through that again. Fusses to her :)