Kitten became aggressive

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Asana
New Cat Chatter

Kitten became aggressive

Post by Asana »

Hello,

My kitten Milo is 3 months and a half almost and used to be a very playful and gentle kitten. Recently, his behaviour has become very hostile. Even while playing with him he will choose to ignore the toy and attack my foot or hand instead. I do not know what is causing this. His bites are very painful and he attacks everyone in our family now. The only times he is calm is when he is eating or when he's sleeping (he likes to sleep with me in bed). There has been no major change in the house since we got him so I’m not sure what is triggering this behaviour. He gets a lot of attention from everyone and is very loved. Please help.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten became aggressive

Post by Mollycat »

To some extent it's a normal progression in a kitten's development to play rougher, but he needs to learn that this is not allowed.

You might find this article helpful, it seems to describe your kitten although I'm sure you don't respond the way these people did https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/play- ... ts-kittens
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would ask at what age you got Milo, normally now kittens are kept with their Mother and Siblings until 12 weeks or 3 months old, your description does make me wonder if he was separated from them earlier. One of the reasons for keeping them together that long is so that they learn to control their play, kittens are very good at teaching each other how rough they can play and bite. If Milo has missed out on that vital stage you will now have to teach him to be more careful when playing.

One thing that might help is using wand toys so the part he is playing with is far from your hand, while this won't help him learn how rough he can play, it will at least save your hands getting ripped up. When playing with him with other toys, if he does go for the hands instead of the toy try to redirect him to the toy, if he won't be redirected or attacks your hands too hard, just get up and walk away, let him know that you aren't playing any more. Ignore him for a bit, 10 minutes to half an hour will probably be plenty for him to start realising he is doing something wrong and just ignoring him is punishment enough. Make sure you also give him lots of praise and encouragement when he is being good.

I would also suggest a visit to the vets as it could be he is older than you think or he is maturing fast, if so it could be that hormones are starting to kick in and that is what is causing the added aggression. If the vet considers him mature enough then neutering him might help control his aggression. While a lot of people, including some vets, still say to neuter at 6 months, there are places that will neuter as early as 8 weeks if the kitten is a good weight and healthy, and even in the UK some vets are becoming more willing to neuter at 3 to 4 months, but it depends on the health and maturity of the kitten.

Give Milo a fuss from me, but stop if he tries to attack you during it.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Good advice from Ruth B, he needs to learn from you what's ok and what isn't, as his mum and siblings aren't there to tell him off.

In addition, try to avoid close contact rough play, as it will just encourage him. Remote toys, such as things on strings or sticks, or toys to chase, are a safer way of interacting with him, and only pet him when he's calm. If he locks on, I usually find a short and gentle puff in his face (ie blowing at him) is enough to confuse them into letting go. Then ignore him till he calms down.

Neutering at the right time may also help - talk to your vet about this.