Cat scared of me after vet visit - advice please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat scared of me after vet visit - advice please

Post by ymv13 »

Hello,

I came home this afternoon to find my cat struggling to walk and in discomfort. He had been on on his own in doors all day. Managed to get him to the vet where the limping and crying vanished.

Vet examined him and came to the conclusion that he had been in a fight and probably has a puncture wound near his tail. Given anti inflammatory or antibiotics. Since then he has hidden under the bed and cowers if he sees me. Is this behaviour normal after a vet visit?

I will be at work all day tomorrow so he will be in doors as usual. I am concerned about leaving him on his own given his out of character behaviour.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Yvonne
Lavone_Folsom
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Cat scared of me after vet visit - advice please

Post by Lavone_Folsom »

In my opinion, the reason for her behaviour is sickness. Cats usually start hiding from owners when they have an injury or feel sickness.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ymv13 »

Thank you. I think I had better keep a close eye on him, as he is probably in pain. :(
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Some cats do get very stressed after a fight, (if that’s what happened), and with the added stress of a vet visit, he’s probably having a bit of a melt down. I would just let him come round in his own time, but keep a careful eye on him to make sure his symptoms don't get worse. You could put food and water (and maybe even a litter tray) near his hiding place to make things a bit easier for him. You could also spend quiet time with him, just sitting in the room and reading a book, or if he seems a bit calmer, talking quietly to him. If no improvement after a few days, it may be worth getting him checked out by the vet again, as withdrawal can be a sign of illness or injury.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

how did he get into a fight? did another cat get into your house?

it could be whatever caused the fight, and hurt him, is making him fearful, rather than you
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

If he had a developing abscess he may feel very ill until the ABs begin to take effect. I would leave him in a safe space with a comfortable bed - preferably covered and dark as his instinct will be to hide away - water, food and a tray. If you can get back to check on him during the day it will help your peace of mind, and I would certainly call the vet if he doesn't improve after a few days. Do you have medication to give him? He may benefit from loxicom (Metacam) for a few days.
ymv13
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by ymv13 »

Thank you all for your responses.

He came out from his hiding place late last night and let me stroke him.

He has eaten and is wondering around but is certainly not himself. He didn't sleep much last night so I have stayed at home to day to keep an eye on him.

If it is a bite, it would have happened one evening after I cam home, as that's when he goes out for a short while. I have anti inflammatory liquid to add to his food for the next few days, although being a fussy eater he probably won't touch his food with the medicine added :|

He is due back at the vet on Monday, unless he get worse, when I will take him sooner.

Fingers crossed he starts to feel better soon.

Yvonne
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

In answer to your direct question it can be normal to some extent after a vet visit, but what happens when you get home is important.

Being human our urge is to reach out and comfort. To a cat, even if they are very close to us, that's harrassment. When you think about it, the last thing that happened before the cat was confined in a carrier and taken out of his home before being poked and prodded by some funny smelling stranger is that you, ther person the cat loves and trusts, reached out ... that is how a cat thinks.

The best thing you can do when a cat wants to hide from you is walk away out of the room and leave it alone. You don't say if you did this or not, but that's the best thing to do. When the cat feels like approaching you again, lots of love and praise, but cats feel so much more bonded and secure when they know they have choices and respect for their felinity.

If you have a really stupid cat or one with a particular kind of close bond with you (2 of mine have been like this) they forget all about the vet and are just soooo grateful to you for getting them out of there! I find this usually after an overnight stay.

Little bit surprised vet said there "may" be a bite, was it not possible to examine him properly?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Once he starts to feel better he will probably recover quickly - it is good that he is eating and talking to you again.