Purdy not well

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Purdy not well

Post by bobbys girl »

Our old lady Purdy is not well. She has not been 100%for a while but we put it down to her age (14 next week) and the fact she has always been a slight, skinny cat. But her usual 'zip' has been missing a few weeks. Yesterday, as she had not had her breakfast and was looking very down, Dave took her to the vet. She had two bad, abscessed teeth right at the back of her mouth. No wonder she was so quiet. We feel awful for not noticing earlier, but she is such a little trooper she never let on. :cry: The teeth are gone and she has had painkillers and is on AB's. But this morning she is still very quiet, clingy and still has a little stiffness in her back legs.

What I would like to know from anyone with older cats is, is it normal for an older cat to take longer to get over anaesthetic and get back to normal or is it, maybe, that the poison from the abscess is still in her system. The AB's should fix that, but is there anything else we can do to help? I hate to see her so down.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Purdy not well

Post by Lilith »

Hi, and sorry to hear about the girl ... ohh yes, they always soldier on until the last minute. Little horrors.

They're all different and I think some cats react differently to anaesthetic whatever age they are, like humans, but yes, it's typical of an older cat, especially one who leads a quiet country life like Purdy, to be knocked out by the meds - and the experience of the vet visit. I wish we could explain to them. She's probably still a bit shocked by it all.

I do hope this wears off as today goes on; as for doing anything extra, I imagine you're doing it all already - tlc, talking to her, keeping an eye on her. She will just be thankful to be back home in her own surroundings.

With all very best wishes for her speedy recovery x
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I have a Purdy too, from a previous relationship, who is at least 20. She was old enough to vote at the last general election!

I believe to some extent it is normal for the oldies to be hit harder by anaesthetics, in fact there comes a time when a vet will become reluctant to do dentals or anything else unless it's really necessary because of increased risks, but I think that's while they are under. If she is very small and slim it's possible she may have had a slightly higher dose than her weight really needed, that can happen and as Lilith says each one reacts a little differently anyway. At 14 it's common for kidney function to be less than tip-top and even if values are still inside the normal range ie she hasn't been labelled CKD or CRF or whatever it's called these days that can make recovery a little tougher. Cats with the label can benefit from a night in on IV fluids before and/or after any work, adding to the cost but easing recovery a bit.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks both of you for your replies. I hadn't though about dosage. Purdy has always been slightly built and lately with the tooth problem she has not been finishing her meals. It must be extremely difficult to judge the amount of anaesthetic, too little and she is still awake, too much and it could kill her.

She is brighter today and is eating more, but I won't be happy until I see her chasing pine cones down the drive (one of her favourite games).
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Poor girl, they do make it difficult for us at times, and I'm sure they know we just feel guilty afterwards.

As the others say anesthetic can effect different cats in different ways, it does sound like she has come around from that fairly well. Also antibiotics can take a few days to work. A lot of antibiotics don't work by killing that many of the bacteria they work by preventing them from reproducing. An abscess is also the body's way of separating the infected area from the rest of the body which is great for stopping the infection reaching important organs but it can mean it doesn't clear up as quickly.

I'm sure she will be a lot better in a few days.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi sorry to hear Purdy’s been unwell & had to have a visit to the vets. Another thing to consider would she have fretted for Dave as she’s his girl. Fusses to the little lady from me & meows from the Famous Five from Oz.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey sorry I missed this - glad she's improving and hope she's soon giving the pine cones hell again - it's awful when they're not themselves (cats I mean, not pine cones.) Lots of love and hugs x