What food?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Inkycat
Returning Cat Chatter

What food?

Post by Inkycat »

What’s a good wet food that’s reasonably priced? I have a 8 year old cat and she was fed on Felix when I got her but I’ve heard this isn’t a very good food. I got her some canagan dry food and I only give her a small amount as I mainly want to feed wet food. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced wet food that’s a good quality?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: What food?

Post by Ruth B »

Felix is fine and is actually one of the better brands easily available, mine are mostly fed Felix as Good as it Looks, with the occasional tin of Gourmet Gold, or sachet of Gourmet Pearl or Sheba given for a change.

As to what is the best food, you could ask 10 people and get a dozen answers. If you are in the UK then most pet food has to be of a reasonable quality, one thing to watch out for is any that say they are 'complementary' or 'supplementary', these don't guarantee to contain all the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. Some people do think a raw diet is the most natural option, but you do have to make sure it contains all the things a cat needs, not just the high quality meat, but all the fat, the skin, the bones (raw, bones are fine, but don't give a cat cooked ones they can splinter and cause problems).

In the end if she is happy eating Felix you could do far worse then keep her on it.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

If you're looking for something cheaper and decent, Butchers Classic tinned is low carb and high protein, grain-free. Downside is if you have one cat that doesn't eat a whole tin in one day, there is a fair bit of waste as it doesn't keep once opened. But there's nothing much wrong with Felix if she's happy. Whiskas is overpriced rubbish and most of the cheap brands are full of cheap ingredients that cats don't need, on the other hand some very expensive brands are not nutritionally complete.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I agree that Butchers Classic is both cheap and decent quality, but if you have some left don't waste it or let it go off - empty it out into a poly bag and freeze it for another day. That's what I do and it works well.

I'm not sure about the quality of it, but as cheap occasional 'treat' mine love the foil trays of pate from Aldi or Lidl at only 21p per 100g tray.