Looking for advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
angela135
New Cat Chatter

Looking for advice

Post by angela135 »

Hello guys, I'm a newbie here. Our family lives in a village and our cat loves to walk outside a lot. We didn't have a problem with it until she started scratching a lot due to fleas. We have other animals too, so we need to solve this problem as soon as it is possible. I tried to look for the best repellent online and found one. But since it is quite expensive before buying it I would love to know your opinion about this Advecta product: "Advecta II" (link removed). Maybe someone of you tried it or you tried another product and it really worked. Thank you!
Last edited by YogiBoy on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advertising link removed
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Looking for advice

Post by lilynmitz »

Never heard of Advecta, but I use Frontline and find it works well. But you need to treat the whole house for fleas too, and keep on top of it with thorough and regular vacuuming, including under seat cushions, round the edge of the floor etc, which is where fleas like to lurk. It’s quite possible one of your other animals is a source of the fleas rather than the cat going outside, so ideally you should treat them as well.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Looking for advice

Post by fjm »

I would always get flea treatment from your vet - they know whether the local population of fleas is resistant to some of the insecticides used, and can prescribe more effective treatments than are usually available over the counter (I am sure you know to avoid anything not specifically labelled for cats - dog treatments can contain permethrin which is poisonous for cats). As has been said, you will need to treat the house and any other animals - using something that stops the fleas reproducing can help reduce the time it takes to clear an infestation. I find regular flea combing of all the animals helps me track how effective I am being in getting on top of the "nasty little bitey things".

If you are seeing stick fleas - little rabbit fleas that typically hang onto the edge of an ear and don't jump around - they are usually easier to clear, just by picking them off an drowning them.