cat behavior after dental surgery

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
suzan30
New Cat Chatter

cat behavior after dental surgery

Post by suzan30 »

My cat Ollie (age 3) had to have several teeth removed yesterday because of stomatitis. He's eating and drinking but seems pretty lethargic. He is also purring really, really loudly. Does all of this sound normal? He's usually super active and playful. I did get some oral pain killers and gave him a dose this morning.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat behavior after dental surgery

Post by Lilith »

Poor chap, yes, he's going to be a bit knocked out after that, and with the anaesthetic too. An extra-loud purr could mean he's got a bit of a sore throat with the anaesthetic, or simply that he's glad to be back with you though he's feeling rough - cats will often purr while in discomfort just to show they trust whatever it is you're doing. It's amazing how they recover from these things though - faster than humans. It's amazing how soon they eat and drink for instance - I couldn't!

I hope he's feeling brighter this morning, but if you have any concerns at all, I'm sure your vet won't mind if you phone and ask them - usually they, or a nurse, are happy to help and advise. I've generally found this to be the case anyway.

Big fuss to Ollie, brave boy, and all the best x