Suspected polyp - no surgery!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gingertigs
New Cat Chatter

Suspected polyp - no surgery!!

Post by gingertigs »

My family cat (17yo approx) has a suspected polyp.
He has noisy breathing, trouble swallowing things, is really hungry and tries to eat, but ends up having difficulty/choking and runs away and doesn’t eat again until later.
He’s lost a lot of weight.
He has a vet appointment later today, originally it was to get him some steroids because apparently last time, the vet told my mother that it would help take down the inflammation.
Now however, parents have seen that he’s starving himself because of his difficulty eating.
We don’t have money problems - we can afford surgery - but parents are saying that they refuse to pay for the scan to make sure that is IS a polyp, and of course the vet won’t perform surgery without checking that it is in fact a polyp on a CT scan first.
So basically they are sentencing our poor cat to death.
They claim they’ll “do what’s best for our cat” so then surely they’d pay for the scan and the surgery?
I KNOW it’s very expensive, but he’s worth every penny.
If I myself had the money, I’d pay it. But I don’t.
I’m devastated that they could do this to him.
Will steroids work at all, do you think?
He’s only been on pain medication (Metacam I think it’s called?) since his last vet visit, and we’ve been feeding him sliced meats which have been ‘whizzed up’ in the blender and dampened a little with water to make eating easier for him.
But they have been hesitant to take him back to the vet due to the cost. As I say, money isn’t actually a problem for us so I don’t understand why they’d rather have our dear little cat put to sleep, rather than do everything they can to make him better?

Any advice, please? :cry:
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Suspected polyp - no surgery!!

Post by exlibris »

Hi gingertigs, really sorry to hear about your moggy :(
I have a feeling I know why your parents are reluctant. Our vets have told us that if we ever need to put our 18-yr-old under sedation that he might not wake up again because of his age. Your parents are probably considering that they may pay thousands of pounds for something that might end your cat anyway. Beyond money, they will not want to put their beloved cat through unnecessary pain or stress. If they are paying from the steroids they clearly care enough to try a less intrusive alternative.
I hope all goes well for you both.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Suspected polyp - no surgery!!

Post by Mollycat »

Doing our best for our pets doesn't always mean doing everything we can.

Sometimes we have to consider the risks and how much we're going to put them through and what they will gain from it.

Surgery is invasive, takes time to recover, needs more appointments and aftercare, and has risks. The risks get higher as we or the cat gets older and the recovery gets more difficult. Throwing money at problems can't solve everything.

I had a cat years ago with kidney failure. The vet contacted us to say there was a new drug on the market that could help slow down and potentialy reverse some of the kidney damage. I thought about it - forcing a pill down her throat every day for life would cause so much damage to the good relationship we had that I decided not to take the pills. She had a good life and we shared trust and love right to the very end. She was 16 when her kidneys finally failed completely. With the drug maybe she could have had a few more months or a couple of years, but she would have ended up scared of me and not understanding why I was doing this to her.

Doing our best for our pets is to give them the best possible quality of life for as long as possible. Keeping them going for as long as possible without thinking too much about their quality of life is for our own benefit. Judging where the difference is, that's the hard part. Cats don't understand pain and fear now for feeling better later, all they know is I feel fine or I feel ill.

Some humans make the same decision too. My friend's mum was only 46 and had cancer, and after the first chemo session she said no, she couldn't go through it. So despite having sons aged 16 and 20, she refused treatment that could have given her some more time and maybe even cured her. But her quality of life was so poor that she didn't feel the small chance of success was worth the pain and suffering of the treatment. It's a hard thing for other people to accept when someone makes this decision, especially for a pet who can't say what they think.