Still a tubby kitten.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Still a tubby kitten.

Post by geckodiva »

I posted a while back about our youngster Monster who is now almost 1 year old.

I was concerned about her size and weight (and activity level). She has been on a diet with only wet food (felix) and is eating less than the rest of the tribe. But still looks fat and isn't losing weight. She is very docile and sleeps A LOT. I asked the vet about an under active thyroid but they said this was extremely unlikely. Reading about it she fits the bill apart from not having a bad condition coat, in fact hers is in very good condition. She had standard blood tests but I don't think the thyroid test was included.

We have tried to get her to play but she mostly looks at us like she hasn't got a clue what she is supposed to do. Our new 2 year old girl Gina has started to interact with her and they have managed a few short play times together. So fingers crossed it happily continues.

The advice I am looking for is food related. Which foods are good for weight loss and how much should I be feeding her. She is a smallish cat currently about 3.3kg but I think should be under 3.0kg. I would prefer not to feed dry food as she has a habit of chucking water around (I don't want the rest to be left with none).

A routine vet check is due next week.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Still a tubby kitten.

Post by booktigger »

I'd ask the vet next week if they think she is overweight before changing her diet, as she should still be growing
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Cats, like us humans, are all different. Are you watching what she is eating? Is she finishing off another cat's tea?
She sounds like our Gracie, a lazy bones who likes her food! She too has a thick, healthy coat. Another one of ours, Purdy, is very slim and active and a menace to the local wildlife. They are both healthy cats, just different.
Right now I would be more worried if she was not putting on weight.
See what the vet thinks and let us know how you go on.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others - see what the vet says. My lot are all vastly different shapes and sizes, and Grumpy Nellie in particular (in my avatar) looks rather 'round' compared to the rest. I think she's just a stocky (...... OK ..... dumpy) little cat, she eats the same as the others. She has a thick coat too, by the way.

I believe dry food is more calorific, so sticking with wet food is a good idea.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by geckodiva »

The vet said on the previous visit Monster is fat (and lazy).

She eats no more than 1 packet of meat a day so about 100 grams. And we have been very careful to make sure she isn't eating anyone else's.
Attachments
20140706_174550_opt.jpg
20140706_174550_opt.jpg (24.44 KiB) Viewed 1985 times