Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sandracat
New Cat Chatter

Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter?

Post by sandracat »

I've recently adopted two kittens which now makes me a four cat household.

I've been using the non-clumping cat litter (the pink one from pets at home, 30-liter size) and I'm thinking about possibly changing. the cats now have pink paws and there's a bit of dust, although none are ever dust free.

I personally don't like the wood pellets. I've heard about the clumping cat litter but the one I tried (from Aldi) I didn't particularly like. To be honest I didn't really know what to expect from it.

I've read about 'the world's best cat litter' (clumping) and it has fantastic reviews, but it's pricey. Although I don't mind paying extra if it's going to last and do a good job.

Having four cats now means I'm cleaning the litter trays out twice a day and a full change about every three days. I've been using less litter in each tray to try and stretch the cost out.

So, I'm after advice on the best cat litter and perhaps I should change to the clumping type?

Thanks to the advice of all of you, I decided to go with a Clumping of Oko Cat Litter. It seems that this Oko Cat Litter is fragrance-free, natural, and clumping and is rated dust free. After a few days of searching on google, I also found some useful information. I also consulted a few videos on Youtube. Have learned a lot of things.

Some sources I have consulted, there are quite a few posts comparing the brands, hope to help people with the same problem with me:
https://catthink.com/cat-litter-brands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng5laqbocd0
cheers!
Last edited by sandracat on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Clumping Or Non-clumping Litter?

Post by lilynmitz »

I used to use Worlds Best and it is really good, but changed to Cats Best which is cheaper and just as good. Slightly bigger grains, but clumps really well and keeps smells down. Tbh I don’t know why anyone uses non clumping, they smell terrible and you have to clean out the whole tray much more often. I used the pink one v briefly when I brought one of my rescues home as that was what she was used to, but hr paws were pink and the pong was appalling!

With Cats Best I clean out the clumps as they appear (at lest twice a day) and wipe any soiled bits of the tray, then let the levels run down before a full clean out in 2-3 weeks. So really cost effective
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I used to use Catsan Clumping litter and still think it is the best I have come across for odour control. However for various reasons including price, I started to look for an alternative last year, I came across Siria on Amazon, it is made from granulated corn cob so more environmentally friendly than the clay, it is less dusty than the Catsan Clumping, and tracks far less (it does still track, but I have yet to find a litter that doesn't at all), and as long as you don't mind a bit of a corn odour it does seem to be almost as good at controlling the odour from what the cats' produce. The clumps are more friable than the Catsan was, but it does mean it doesn't weld itself to the litter tray. It's downside, I tend to buy it in 6 x 10l bags (£40) which does mean i have to find a place to store it. Also as it comes from Italy it takes a few days to arrive and who knows what will happen when the B word takes effect (if it ever does).
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I inherited my boy with instructions not to spend money on litter and just use Tesco's own. I ended up doing a full change daily and it was still disgusting with just one cat, so when second cat came along I went the clumping route. Pets at Home own brand I think it's ultra performance. A bag at around £8.50 lasts a week or more for 2 of them, one with frequent diarrhoea and the other with renal failure, so they get through a lot. Got through a lot - I'm down to one :(

Be careful changing litter, some cats accept the new one no bother, others may not like it at first or at all. My girl would never accept the paper based stuff as acceptable to do her business in, whereas the boy was yeah whatever. With 4 you could potentially have trays with different ones to cater for different preferences.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my favourite is a very fine silicate litter, because I find the bags of clay clumping litter just too heavy, and Tiffany hates anything that's not really fine grained, which rules out the ones made of corn husk, wood etc

the silicate litter is very good at disguising smells, and the poo dries out really well, and can be flushed - but it isn't cheap

Tiffany has just been prescribed diuretics because her heart isn't pumping efficiently, and her stomach was full of fluid, so I hate to think how much more litter I am going to need now :roll:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

The Siria, while it may be made from corn husk is actually quite fine grained, not much bigger than the Catsan clumping litter I used to use and nothing like the wood pellet type.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I use Pettex clumping litter. Works well and Tilly is happy with it (as were Badger, Honey Misty and Sally in their time). It is a bit heavy, so a shopping cart might be useful for the amount you will require. I certainly would not consider using a non-clumping litter and on the few times I have tried it, wood based ones don't seem to get approval from my current feline(s).
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

As chambermaid, I prefer World's Best; it's easy to lift out the clumps and solids, it's light, and if the tray's in the bathroom, you can flush the scoopings as long as you're on mains drainage.

However, my younger cat Molly insists on Sainsbury's clumping clay litter. NOT the ultra-clumping, as this contains 'fragrance' and it disgusts her, but the bog standard (pun intended) clumping is the one. You need to maintain a really good depth of litter, otherwise the wet clumps stick to the tray and it's like chipping out plasticine. Or concrete. I keep a metal scraper thingy in with the scoop for emergencies, as no scoop, not even one of those little square short-handled things, is man enough. Any other litter, as far as Molly is concerned, and I will end up with wet rugs and The Pile left in front of the dishwasher. She's got me trained. Just wish I could train her ...

My other cat, Mouse, is a lady and uses anything, bless her.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I don't think there is a conclusive answer - depends on your preference and your cats. I'm lucky with my current 3 that they will use anything, one of my previous cats was very fussy and would use the floor if the litter wasn't up to his standards! Ironically one of mine uses clumping and the other two don't, I have tried it with them, as it is my preference, but as they prefer to share a tray, it didn't work. They have one from Pets at Home, Lucy is currently going through a variety to see if we can find a new favourite, as my old one has been discontinued.