Litter tray problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Litter tray problems

Post by KittyWitty »

Not sure if this fits into this section - move it if it needs to be moved.

Right so Whisky will be 9 weeks old tomorrow but since he came to stay with us (2 weeks ago) we have noticed that he is having a problem with the litter tray.

He is a great little digger but seems to dig so much that he is moving all the litter out of the way and then peeing which is getting his feet soaking. My partner seems to think it is something to do with our litter (Nature's Calling) but I feel that it is due to him being separated from mummy too early.

What I am wanting to know is if there is anything we can do to help stop this or will it stop as he gets older?
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Litter tray problems

Post by Diana »

He is nine weeks old, which means he was seven weeks old when you got him, so yes I think that was way too early and it may play a part. Kittens should not be seperated til at least eight weeks. Where do you adopt him from?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Diana wrote:He is nine weeks old, which means he was seven weeks old when you got him, so yes I think that was way too early and it may play a part. Kittens should not be seperated til at least eight weeks. Where do you adopt him from?
I know that they shouldn't be separated that early. This explains it all: http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... f=31&t=701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Do you know what litter Whisky was used to before you got him? maybe give that a go?

Another option is to put a puppy pad under the litter in the hope that his claws aren't going to shred it to bits because then at least it'll absorb his wee's

Also try a deeper litter tray (just make sure he can still get in and out of it though ;) ) and put a really deep layer of litter in; and see if he doesn't dig down as deep?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

meriad wrote:Do you know what litter Whisky was used to before you got him? maybe give that a go?

Another option is to put a puppy pad under the litter in the hope that his claws aren't going to shred it to bits because then at least it'll absorb his wee's

Also try a deeper litter tray (just make sure he can still get in and out of it though ;) ) and put a really deep layer of litter in; and see if he doesn't dig down as deep?
puppy pad is a great idea! and I'll find out the litter he was using and see if mixes that in a little will help.

I'll also try putting more litter in although there is already so much in there lol litter tray is also pretty deep so that should be fine!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

It does explain....sorry I missed that thread.

The puppy pad is a great idea, less rubbing on the paws. Have you tried wood pellet litter, that is soft. And yes maybe put extra litter, the more littler the less chance of him digging to the bottom. One of my cat digs a bit,but putting extra has stopped her going right to the bottom.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Good luck

sometimes my Harry will scratch and dig at the side of the litter tray (it's a covered one) for ages. he never digs a hole interestingly enough, just goes in - does his business and then digs as though he's trying to get to Australia :)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

:lol: sorry, but I had to laugh - I have the same problem with Lara sometimes and she's 2 years old and can pee for Europe, let alone England! If the litter is not deep enough she'll get so enthusiastic 'preparing' sometimes that she'll shift it all to one side then pee on the bare surface and her little feet are standing in a veritable tidal wave!! I suspect as he's young he's just learning to do the job properly, and some deeper litter would be a good idea. I read that a transparent under bed storage box can make a great litter tray...

Fusses to the precious little chap x
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Jacks wrote::lol: sorry, but I had to laugh - I have the same problem with Lara sometimes and she's 2 years old and can pee for Europe, let alone England! If the litter is not deep enough she'll get so enthusiastic 'preparing' sometimes that she'll shift it all to one side then pee on the bare surface and her little feet are standing in a veritable tidal wave!! I suspect as he's young he's just learning to do the job properly, and some deeper litter would be a good idea. I read that a transparent under bed storage box can make a great litter tray...

Fusses to the precious little chap x
We already use transparent storage boxes :lol: but Whisky is too small to jump in so its a deep purple trixie tray for him. Since I filled up the tray with more litter the problem has gotten so much better but we did have one incident today - think i'll fill it up even more :lol: :lol: