Agressive play

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Erikanc2
New Cat Chatter

Agressive play

Post by Erikanc2 »

I have two cats: Thor and haz. Haz is about 8 years old and very relaxed. She was raised in a one cat household until my fiancé and I got thor 2 years ago. Thor is extremely energetic and loves to play, while haz does not. He is constantly bothering her and when she hisses, growls, or runs from his advances he doesn’t listen and often plays much too rough with her. They were not introduced correctly due to my interfering mother, who we lived with at the time we got Thor.

We’ve tried a spray bottle and while it works In the moment it does not make any lasting impression. He will run away and sometimes as quickly as 30 seconds later come back and bother her. He has lots of individual toys (not complex ones, just things he can bat around on the floor basically) and there are two cat trees in our one bedroom apartment. Instead of using these, any time we are not looking (and often when we are) he attacks his sister.

I’m at my wits end. I don’t know what to do. I know that when we are sleeping he bothers her because her hissing and growling wakes us up at night. Because of this I’m certain he does It when we aren’t home, too. What do I do?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Agressive play

Post by fjm »

Can you separate them when you are not there to supervise? You don't say whether the cats are allowed outside - having more space to roam and more stimulation often helps dissipate excess energy.

I would also play with him more yourselves - fishing pole toys, tossing a toy for him, tug toys, anything else that engages him and distracts him from the need to tease her, until he turns to you for play rather than Haz. The ultimate solution may be another energetic youngster who would be happy to play with him, though.
Erikanc2
New Cat Chatter

Post by Erikanc2 »

We live on the third floor of an apartment so outside time can’t happen. I’ve been thinking of investing in more toys, though I’m hesitant to waste the money as he doesn’t play with any of the ones he has now. We also live in a 1 bedroom so a third cat would be irresponsible, just because of size limitations.

I would separate them when we aren’t there but they are both terrible howlers who can’t stand not having the run of the house, and it breaks my heart to think of locking one of them in our room while the other lounges whenever they want. It also wouldn’t necessarily stop the problem, I don’t think. We give him “time outs” sometimes when he’s being particularly rowdy - he just yowls from inside the room and continues the behavior when we let him back out.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, try wearing him out with interactive toys, so he can see you as an alternative source of entertainment rather than constantly winding up Haz. That will help him burn off some energy and give Haz some peace. I've had this with young boy cats and slightly older females, and it can drive them nuts. You certainly can't take all that youthful energy and boistrous behaviour away from him, but the best you can do is redirect his energy. Da Bird is really popular, also UnderCover Mouse worked for my monsters. Really good catnip too - Yeoww Bananas or Stinky Fish keep them quiet for a while and get them slightly stoned and a bit more chilled out! Result!
Erikanc2
New Cat Chatter

Post by Erikanc2 »

Ill try them out!! Thank you!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Please don't use a spray bottle unless there is an immediate danger - as you have found out they don't work and risk making your cat afraid of you or getting so used to it that it's just not effective.

6 years ago my new 9 year old desperately needed a companion so we got a 6 year old, we had a bit of the same problem, also indoor cats. The new one wanted to play rough but the old boy was confused and scared. I had to take on the rough stuff with her and now her favourite game is called Whack-a-Molly and we play daily - it's a wand with elasticated string and an ordinary catnip mouse on the end, I have to try to hit her with the mouse and she tries to catch it. She won't play with my partner because he's too gentle! I'm careful to avoid her eyes and kidney area but she loves it all over her ribs, head, shoulders - and the whack! it makes sounds painful but she demands more. And for 6 years it's been enough rough to keep her from being too rough with my boy, and they could play chase quite happily together.

I'm in a 1 bedroom flat too by the way so separation isn't an option, they are restricted enough space wise as it is, so it's important that it doesn't escalate to the point where they fall out, I totally agree with you there.