Stray cat aggressive when resident cat approaches to play

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Anca90
New Cat Chatter

Stray cat aggressive when resident cat approaches to play

Post by Anca90 »

Hi everyone,
Hope someone will be able to help me with some advice.
I took a new cat in 5 days ago(neutered 5 year old aprox) ,he was a stray ,neighbours moved a month ago and left him behind.In this time he became very attached to me so I decided to take him to the vet and keep him.
I have another 9 year old cat neutered male as well ,they seemed to get along alright at the beginning, they would touch noses and tolerate each other in the room.
My issue is now ,after 5 days, my cat would go to this new cat to play and the new one hisses and scratches when he approaches with this intention.They are still able to be in the same room without any signs of aggression but this is only if my 9 year old cat doesn't approach the new cat to play.The new cat is very playful with us humans.Since the hissing and scratching my 9 year old spends most of the day upstairs and only comes down to use the litter tray.
I didn't do their introduction by the book because they seemed to be alright with each other when they meet and for the first couple of days.
I don't know what to do now , I wouldn't want to give the new fellow for adoption cuz he had such a rough month ,but I want my 9 year old to be happy and confident in his own home as well.
Do you guys think I should start with the introduction from scratch and separate them,no visual contact etc?at the moment they are only separated at night when we sleep to avoid any potential fights.
I would be most grateful for any advice.
Thank you
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Stray cat aggressive when resident cat approaches to play

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi, don't panic. 5 days is very very early days in this process. They had a promising start, it can just take a while for them to sort out the pecking order. They were both probably on their best behaviour to start with as it was so new, but now they're beginning to realise this is a permanent change, they are making their own adjustments. It might be worth going back a few steps and slowing down / restarting the introduction process, so it gives each of them time and space to figure things out.

But at the end of the day, you can't dictate their relationship, or how quickly they become friends. The hissing and scratching is just your newbie's way of saying "I'm a bit anxious and uncertain about what's going on in my life right now, so please back off". And your older cat has said "right you are" and is leaving him alone. Give each of them lots of love and attention, so they both feel reassured about their place in the home, and just take things more slowly for a while.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Good on you taking on this new cat. Sounds not too serious and repairable, to be honest. Go back to the beginning and do it by the book, it's never too late to work out. I'm always being told boys are easier to introduce than girls - I've had two boys and sure enough they both needed company and one would even go out recruiting when his friend started getting old. But there's a territory thing as well and this new one is most likely misunderstanding your boy's intentions. Get them high together, when you get to that stage, I find it much better than eating together as food (especially for ex-strays) can be a valuable resource to be defended. Also Pet Remedy plug-ins work much better than Feliway and have none of that burning smell to them. All the best with them both I hope it works out, just a little patience and go back to basics.
Anca90
New Cat Chatter

Post by Anca90 »

Thank you both for replying:)
I actually just ordered some more feliway and a calming spray from felisept that had good reviews. I will try the one Mollycat mentioned next time if these don't work.
I think it s also to do with my older s cat scratcher, it was his favourite place to sit and play and I only had one and the new cat loves it as well and sits on it all day , I did order another one today hope this works as well.
I feel a bit better now that I read your positive replies:) will try to go back a few steps and try to introduce them properly.
Thank you again ,hope you both have a nice weekend
:D
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Scratchersmake sense as these are strategic territory markers, so having several and placing them carefully can really help.