Small Kidneys

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Small Kidneys

Post by Ruth B »

Once more I have been successful in getting Freyja to the vets for her boosters, it is always a challenge as she is very difficult to handle and getting her in a carrier is a matter of catching her unawares by the scruff.

Normally she gets a very brief check over and her jabs, sometimes without even leaving the carrier, this time the vet had her out and gave her a better going over, said her heart was fine, then had problems finding her kidneys and said they were small. This isn't something i have heard said before and while I don't think there is a problem I was just wondering if anyone else had come across it, and whether it lead to further problems in the future, the most obvious one is kidney failure later in life. I doubt it will make a lot of difference in how she is treated, but it is just if anyone knows anything I should be aware of.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Small Kidneys

Post by lilynmitz »

I haven’t heard of this but it would be worth talking if through with the vet. It might mean that periodic bloods would be a good idea to check how they’re doing, so if there is an issue you can change her diet or even put her on meds. My Lily was on fortekor for years but I just hid it in a bit of Webbox, and as far as she knew she just got treats every day.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'll certainly be asking the vets next time I'm in, it just came as a surprise and at the time I was just more concerned with getting her boosters and flea treatment done, so didn't think to ask. Any other cat would be easy, Freyja, just getting her to the vets for her boosters in an accomplishment, the only way I can get her in a carrier is to wait until she is relaxed on the bed and get her by the scruff, fortunately i have always preferred the top loading, crate style carrier. Get it wrong and I could well end up in A&E and won't be able to attempt it for at least a month. She does seem to be getting better and at 4 1/2 years old is still young, i can only hope that by the time she does need serious treatment she is easier to handle.

Of course it could also be that the vet said they were small because he had a problem finding them.

I just thought i would put it up here in case anyone else had ever heard of a similar problem, it isn't serious at the moment, it may never be, but it is always a good thing to be aware of any issues that might crop up in the future and it could be a pointer that will mean we can avoid some tests later on.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth my impossible to load girl benefits greatly from a distance Reiki session just at the time when I need to take her. The lady I use charged us £30 for a distance session and it definitely made a huge difference to the loading trauma.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Hopefully she won't need to go for another 12 months and I can keep working on handling her, but I may be in contact next August to ask for the lady's details. I am more than happy to accept that there is something in the alternative treatments, but I also know how easy it could be to fake it, I would much rather go to someone who comes recommended and I would guess if it can be done at a distance it doesn't matter where we are located (with in reason i guess)