Newly adopted cat query/going away for a few days soon

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
peaclily 70
Frequent Cat Chatter

Newly adopted cat query/going away for a few days soon

Post by peaclily 70 »

Hi everyone,
I wonder if someone could help and give me some advice please? I have recently adopted a cat from a shelter and in about 10 days (after staying in for 4 weeks) I am going to let her out, but a couple of weeks after that I have to go go away for a few days to look after my elderly sick father. Would it be better if I put my cat in a cattery for a few days, or leave her at home as I am installing a cat flap and have good neighbours who will feed her while I'm away? I am concerned that if I leave her at home she will freak out and wander off.

Many thanks.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Newly adopted cat query/going away for a few days soon

Post by lilynmitz »

Congratulations on sharing your hime with a rescue puss. To be honest I would just keep her in for a few weeks longer until you’re back from looking after your dad. It won’t do her any harm, she’ll be in familiar territory, you know she’ll be safe so you don’t have to worry and can concentrate on your dad, and then you will be there for her properly when she does come to exploring the big wide world after you get back. I've kept rescue cats in much longer than that before letting them out, and never had a problem with it.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I agree, I'd wait until after you get back before letting her out. If you trust your neighbours and she knows them, I'd leave her at home. I prefer to keep them in for 6 weeks
peaclily 70
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by peaclily 70 »

Thanks for all your replies and advice. My neighbours can only pop in a couple of times in a day to feed her because of their work/family commitments...I don't think they would clean her litter tray too. I think that since I will keep her in longer, as you advised, it might be better to put her in a cattery? I had a rescue cat for 14 years and he was a house cat. When I went away, which wasn't often, I put him in a good cattery and he caught no harm.
peaclily 70
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by peaclily 70 »

By the way she doesn't know my neighbours very well
peaclily 70
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by peaclily 70 »

It really bothers me that I have to leave her and go away as I am already very fond of her, but I have to go and look after my dad as he is on his own. I couldn't foresee this happening :(
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Honestly, I would keep her at home if you can. She will be far less stressed in her own home. I have a reciprocal cat sitting arrangement with a neighbour, we just pop in morning and evening (we each have two cats), and clean out litter tray once a day. If you use a clumping litter, it’s a 30 second job. (If you need to change litter, do it now so she has time to get used to it). Tbh some cats prefer to use their litter trays even when they have outdoor access. I’ve had several like that.) I find a bottle of wine and box of chocs is a good inducement!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

even easier to use for someone who doesn't 'do' litter trays is very fine silica litter - the poo dries out completely and scoops up easily and wet patches
just needs stirring around to mix them with the the dry litter - it doesn't smell at all, and if you set up a pedal bin with liner by the tray your neighbour would find it very easy to cope with it

but personally if you have a good cattery in your area I wouldn't see it as a poorer option, if you are likely to have to be away on a fairly regular basis - even if it works out well with your neighbour there could come a time when she can't help, and if the timing and length of your away days are going to be unpredicable you may well have to use a cattery at some stage. I had to spend weekends away visiting an elderly mother for several months, and my cat quite enjoyed being spoiled rotten at the local cattery.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

To be honest if the neighbours are going to accept responsibility for one end of the cat they need to accept responsibility for the other end too, otherwise a cattery that takes care from nosetip to tailtip would be essential.

Let's say you started letting the cat out, have a cat flap, and the neighbours just pop in to feed her but don't scoop the tray. From the cat's point of view - there's been the traumas that led to going into rescue, then being rescued and taken to a strange place where there is care, attention, serviced food and toiletting and cuddles. Suddenly there is an empty house, more strangers popping in twice a day to put food down and offer nothing like play or affection, and dirty trays. If I was a cat, I'd pack my bags.

I really feel for you in this position, there's no easy answer and cat is bound to be confused being left so soon after being adopted, but then again this is her first opportunity to put you to the test, that you sometimes go but you always come back. Are you likely to use a cattery again? If yes then here's the opportunity to start getting her used to it.

Do you have a pet sitting service nearby? Could someone a bit more cat-friendly and willing to deal with trays come in for her? I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a cat in the care of people who are selective about what care they give whether the cat is indoors or free to roam. Maybe I'm nervous because of recent illness and advanced years but I wouldn't trust people who don't do trays to spot any problems that could easily happen, like not eating because you've disappeared which could become serious in the time frame that you're away.